Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

preventing a part to rotate in an assembly

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
lemaycj
6776 Views, 4 Replies

preventing a part to rotate in an assembly

I have an assembly of 3 parts.  I want to align holes from 2 of the parts and then fix them all in that position (as they will be welded together).  I can't figure out how to do that (lock-in position).  I restrained on axis and surface-to-surface but I don't know how to prevent 50168P and 50181B from rotating around.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mcgyvr
in reply to: lemaycj

Typically the first part placed into an assembly is automatically "grounded" (ie..it cannot move anywhere)

Then you place the rest of the parts and constrain then fully to remove any "degrees of freedom"

You could just set any/all parts as "grounded" (right click on the part and select "grounded") once you have constrained them to remove most of the degrees of freedom BUT I think its always best to fully constrain all parts. (well I do leave screws/bolts partially constrained I guess..They are insert constrained into their holes but can still spin around which really doesn't matter)

The problem with just grounding all parts is that if you change something they won't update their placement based on their constraints to other parts..

Frankly I think that an assembly should only have 1 if any parts grounded.. All others should be ungrounded. In my opinion..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 5
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi lemaycj, 

Most often I use an angle constraint placed between origin work planes of the part files (expand the Origin folder in parts of the browser tree) to prevent unwanted rotation.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 4 of 5
TheRham

There are several ways to go about this, but the simplest would be to create an Angle-Directed Angle constraint between 50183 YZ origin plane to 50168P YZ origin plane at 30 deg angle, and a Mate-Flush constraint between 50183 XZ origin plane to 50181B YZ origin plane.  I think that will give you what you're looking for.

Message 5 of 5
sathersc23
in reply to: mcgyvr

mcgyvr,

Do you use Vault? Do you have issues with hardware causing edited out of turn errors when it's not locked down?

Thanks,

-Sam

Sam Sather
CAD Admin
Inventor 2014
Vault Pro 2014 SR: 1 SP: 1
Intel Xeon X5690 @ 3.47 GHz
48.0 GB Ram
Windows 7 x64
AMD FirePro V7900 - 8.830.5.6000

----------------------------

"We have not succeeded in answering all our problems. The answers we have found only serve to raise a whole set of new questions. In some ways we feel we are as confused as ever, but we believe we are confused on a higher level and about more important things." - Earl C. Kelley

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report