Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preferred O/S for Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
JimStrenk
587 Views, 8 Replies

Preferred O/S for Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014?

I currently have Product Design Suite Ultimate 2013 installed on a Vista 64 bit Ultimate machine, an operating system which Autodesk no longer supports.  Besides lack of O/S support, the machine itself is 8+ year old and has begun to show it's age. Smiley Mad

That being the case, I'm now in need of both a new machine, and an operating system.  For the machine itself, I'm looking at towered workstations with an AT form factor motherboard.  I have no need for a touch-screen monitor or tablet form factors. It is my intention to run/operate each and every application and each and every module that comes shipped with PDSU 2014.  I may also choose to run Adobe Encore and Adobe Premier Pro on this same computer.

Should I be using Windows 7 or Windows 8 for the operating system?

Any particular benefit using a Xeon processor over the fastest Intel Core i7 Extreme processor?

It's my understanding that Xeons are the preferred choice for computational accuracy.

Any tips, suggestions or comments on this particular subject would be most welcomed!

Jim Strenk

Inventor 2012 Certified Associate
AutoCAD 2012 Certified Associate

Product Design Suite Ultimate 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016, 2017

Other than THAT, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play??
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
blair
in reply to: JimStrenk

I would be sticking with Win7-64 bit O/S with at least 8Gb of memory. It really depends on what you are doing as what CPU you go with. Straight IPT/IAM modeling go with the fastest CPU you can afford. This portion of Inventor only can use a single core CPU. If you are doing a lot of IDW work, rendering in the Studio environment of Inventor, or Showcase and 3dMax and FEA work, then the more cores the merrier.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 9
JimStrenk
in reply to: blair

Thanks Blair for the reply!

Any particular reason for choosing Windows 7?

If you were to purchase a new computer today, would you give any thought in using Windows 8 as your O/S?

I see the fellows at D&M seem pretty excited about using Windows 8.

I'm a tad concerned about making a purchase with somewhat dated components and technology and such.

Other than cost, any particular reason you've chosen an i7 Core processor instead of a Xeon CPU?

I'd like to hear more about your thoughts on this subject.

Anyone else have some opinions and care to join in?

Jim Strenk

Inventor 2012 Certified Associate
AutoCAD 2012 Certified Associate

Product Design Suite Ultimate 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016, 2017

Other than THAT, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play??
Message 4 of 9
blair

I know that everything will run on Win7 at the office. We have our ERP software which must run on our machines at work.

I do alot of Rendering in Showcase and a fair bit of FEA in Sim Mech, they take advantage of all the cores.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 9
BLHDrafting

Blair, a side issue but what ERP software are you running?

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blhdrafting.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)
Message 6 of 9
blair

We use Syspro, it's a fairly international software.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 9
BLHDrafting

Does it natively talk with Inventor/Vault, or is there some middleware like Agni-Link?

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blhdrafting.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)
Message 8 of 9
blair

You would need a 3rd party add-in. The biggest problem, is with some of the "parts" for small assemblies. You give it a XYZ.ipt within the IAM file, but in fact it's profile cut from plate steel.

If you gave each item with the IAM an equivalent part number in the ERP system, then it would work fine. In real life (at least our shop/plant, a lot of these parts are "weldments" and you would never sell that individual part (profile cut item) by itself. Then again other items are sold by themselves and require a Part Number in the ERP BOM system.

Just as easy to manually deal with the transfer from the Inventor BOM into our ERP BOM system manually.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 9
mrattray

My opinion is, Windows 7 works great. I feel it's MicroSoft's best O/S to date, even better than XP. I haven't tried Windows 8, but why should I?
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report