Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-select sketch coords, origin

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
SMB2201
410 Views, 4 Replies

Pre-select sketch coords, origin

Hi, been using Inventor 2008 Sp1 (its about to be renewed now that I have shown it works) for about 4 weeks after using Works and Edge for about 6 years. In Edge at least, when you are creating a new sketch, you can cycle through options (rotate, flip) on where the bottom left corner is and whether its facing up or down before the sketch is started. Almost if not every time I create a new sketch in Inventor it wants to put the plane "upside down" to how I want it. I know you can edit sketch origin and coordinates after you start and exit new sketch but this is annoying. Is there any way to tell Inventor how I want the sketch plane in the first place?
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mflayler2
in reply to: SMB2201

If you are sketching on a workplane you can right click on it before starting and tell it to Flip the Normal.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 3 of 5
SMB2201

Thanks Mark, thats a bit helpful, facing the wrong way wasnt as big a pain as having the origin in the wrong corner. I read on another thread that the "back" of a plane is darker than the front. I find it wierd that when you show all planes of Standard.ipt and hit F6 where I believe you should see the front of all three planes, you actually see the back of one of them and hence causes some of my frustration. I have set up a std part with F6 reset to show the front of all three planes as default to see if this helps. Still, it would be good if you could nominate the bottom left corner of a plane as you create it.
Message 4 of 5
SMB2201

Resetting F6 didnt help, in my opinion Z is in the wrong direction, can this be reversed? Being Mechanical I see X as being to my right, Y is elevation (as in reading an x-y graph, so xy is front plane) and Z is AWAY (xz is top, zy is right side) from me (Civils who look at the ground see Y as being away from them and Z as elevation). I expect if you wrote "plane" on each face, when you hit iso view you should be able to read each word left to right but i cant get this either with default std ipt, std in ipt or std mm ipt. Have I changed a setting or something?
Message 5 of 5
SMB2201

Since no-one has been able to tell me how to reverse the Z direction, I have used Marks suggestion in a way. I created a work plane coincident with the XZ and flipped it, then turned XZ off and saved it as a template. Now when I sketch on XZwork it comes straight to me without flipping to the wrong side, and when I press F6 I can see the front of all planes.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report