Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

Active Contributor
Accudyne1
Message 21 of 65 (322 Views)

Re: Posting a project for comments

05-03-2012 01:31 PM in reply to: JDMather

What type of class was this?  Just curious.. I took a quick look at your models, it looked like a pretty cool project but you should be careful with underconstraining your sketches.  It will come back to bite you eventually, if things are free to move around they eventually will and it will probably happen at the worst time (like you notice it right after the machine shop calls and says "hey this part looks all wacky, are you sure that's what you wanted??") Get in the habit of doing things right everytime, a little time up front saves tons in the back end.  I know it might seem faster to just wing it sometimes, but the extra time is worth it.  If you can grab a line or part of a sketch and drag it around then you really aren't done sketching yet, I think someone on here called it the etch a sketch technique, its a common practice.

It looks like you are looking for some general tips so I will give you a few that I usually give people that work for me...start your sketches at the origin and dimension your profile to that origin point.  If its symmetric then this will save you tons of time later because you can draw a feature and then mirror or pattern it around the origin to quickly duplicate parts.  That is a huge time saver, which brings up my next point...never draw the same thing twice!  If you can create a feature then pattern it somehow that's the way to do it for sure.

Also keep your sketches simple, that's another big one, it looks like nothing was overly complicated in your model, but that's a good point to keep in mind for future work.

The last thing I will say is that before you start modeling, think for a few minutes about what you need the final outcome to be and what would be the most efficient way of getting there.  A little planning goes a long way.

Good luck on your project.

Valued Contributor
donovandigital
Message 22 of 65 (320 Views)

05-03-2012 01:33 PM in reply to: JDMather

JDMather, you are made of 100% concentrated awesome. Clearly if I intend to charge money I am interested in the "right way" to do it.

I don't have time this week to go through your nut tutorial, but I will get to it next week or week after. For now, thank you for the compliment of putting me in the 1% of students that are not put off by deep detail work.

I am repackaging the original files for size as we speak. I will attach them to the reply I am writing to your original comment.

Valued Contributor
donovandigital
Message 23 of 65 (273 Views)

05-03-2012 03:21 PM in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for all the info, I will be making the suggested adjustments in the next week or so.

For now, just a couple questions.

a)What do you mean by pattern features? 

b)Can you give an example of something that needs to be constrained that isn't?

c)again, what kind of timeframe am I looking at for such a project to enable me to charge money? Clearly correcting and learning from my errors is paramount at this point, but I'd like a goal I can work toward in the long term.

d)Also, again, what is the proper format for the printed document?

Thanks again for all the help

Joe

Valued Mentor
Rich.O.3d
Message 24 of 65 (263 Views)

05-03-2012 06:27 PM in reply to: donovandigital

go get em JD...love your work

CAD Management 101:
You can do it your own way,
If its done just how I say!
[Metallica:And Justice For All:1988]
Valued Contributor
donovandigital
Message 25 of 65 (257 Views)

05-03-2012 07:20 PM in reply to: Rich.O.3d

Next part I think should be the board... it is most complicated. But, frankly, I don't care - it's your call.

Valued Contributor
donovandigital
Message 26 of 65 (252 Views)

05-03-2012 07:27 PM in reply to: donovandigital

Completed nut - did not seem to have posted last time

Valued Contributor
donovandigital
Message 27 of 65 (251 Views)

05-03-2012 07:28 PM in reply to: donovandigital

BTW, why did you do the corner chamfers with extrude rather than regular chamfer?

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 28 of 65 (239 Views)

05-04-2012 12:25 AM in reply to: donovandigital

donovandigital wrote:

BTW, why did you do the corner chamfers with extrude rather than regular chamfer?

Do it.  Delete or suppress the Extruded Intersection and use the Chamfer tool instead.

Notice the difference in results.  Which one looks like the real world part?

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 29 of 65 (236 Views)

05-04-2012 12:26 AM in reply to: donovandigital

donovandigital wrote:

Next part I think should be the board... .

Good choice as this will also answer your question about Feature Patterns.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Mentor
markc-uk
Message 30 of 65 (240 Views)

05-04-2012 12:27 AM in reply to: JDMather

Your method of adding the chamfer to the outside edge of the nut is something I've never seen. I've always 'sketched' the chamfer and then revolve cut the chamfer away.

You learn something new every day - brilliant!

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.