Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to Link BOM's in One Drawing????

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Cadmanto
1459 Views, 13 Replies

Possible to Link BOM's in One Drawing????

I have a situation where I have my master BOM that is shown on sheet 1 of my drawing that represents everything shown on the drawing.  What I am running into is I have to detail a couple of sub-assemblies as details on the drawing.

What I do is bring in views from that sub assembly seperate from the main assembly, but the problem is those items dont show up in the main BOM.  I end up having to drag in a second BOM that I place off of the drawing sheet as well as adding line items in the main BOM to represent these components in the sub assembly.  Then manually change the items numbers in the second BOM to match the iotem numbers in the main BOM.  What I would like to know is if it is at all possible to link the two BOM's together so I can change the item numbers in the main BOM and it funnels down to the second BOM.

I really hope this makes some sense.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
japike
in reply to: Cadmanto

BOMs are part of the assembly model and parts lists are used on a drawing to document part or all of the BOM. You can use the BOM to control the item numbers of parts list. Is that what you are after?

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2022
Message 3 of 14
mrattray

I'm not following you. Pictures with a more thorough explanation would help.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 4 of 14
Cadmanto
in reply to: japike

Jeff,

I understand that.  I use the term BOM because the software I came from used that term.  I know that Inventor uses both terms in conjunction with each other.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 5 of 14

Hi Cadmanto, 

Here is a link that might help. In it Paul outlines a nice strategy for coordinating BOMs:

http://cadsetterout.com/inventor-tutorials/autodesk-inventor-creating-coordinated-bom-for-large-asse...

This approach isn't perfect for everyone, but many find it works for well.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 6 of 14
Cadmanto
in reply to: mrattray

I am not really sure that images would help in this case.  Trust me I am a visual guy so I get it!!!  Smiley Wink

I will try and explain better  My main assembly is assembly "A".  It consists of sub assemblies "B", "C" and "D" as well as a few other separate parts.  On the drawing of assembly "A" I need to show a detail of sub assembly "B" so I bring in a view of "B" and it already shows up in the BOM as assembly "B".  I don't want it to show up as assembly "B" I want it to show "B1", "B2" and "B3"  I edit the BOM for "A" to manually add items "B1-B3".  Because the detail of "B" was brought in separately it will only show balloons representative of the second BOM associated with the detail showing "B".  Now I have to manually edit the second BOM ("B's" ) to match the items manually added to "A's"

What I want to know is if there is a way to link BOM "A" and BOM "B" so when I change the items in BOM "A" it automatically changes BOM "B".

I hope this makes sense.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 7 of 14
mrattray

OK, I think I get it now.

First off, instead of manually editing the parts list why don't you either set the parts list to parts only or the sub to phantom? This would make the parts list show the children of the sub instead of the sub.

As far as your baloons go, how about if instead of making a seperate base view for the sub, you make a child view of some sort, a projected or detail view, and turn off the parts and assemblies you don't want shown in that view? Then the baloons will look to the main assemblies BOM for it's data.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 8 of 14
Cadmanto

Ok, that is making some sense.  As far as the settings in the BOM, that is giving me fits which is an issue for another day.  Currently I cannot even access the the BOM to edit it's "reference", "parts only" or "purchased" setting.  It keeps telling me the assembly needs to be saved when it clearly has been.

Anyway, it sounds like you might be talking about LOD's which I totally forgot about.  That is an option.  But with me not able to edit the BOM I am stuck not being able to change it to parts only or reference the sub assembly and make the components active.  Bummer!!!  I am stuck with these cards for now.  Smiley Sad

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 9 of 14
mrattray

I get that "the assembly needs to be saved" crap once in a while, too. Try doing a save all. That always works for me.

No, I'm not talking about LOD's. That could work, but I try to avoid them when I can.  I simply meant toggling the visibility of the parts from within the view.

capture.jpg

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 10 of 14
jtylerbc

If you were going to control the visibility from the assembly, View Representations would probably be the better way to go than LOD's.  Attempting to use multiple LOD's in the same drawing tends to result in outbursts of profanity.

Message 11 of 14
mrattray
in reply to: jtylerbc

I forgot about view reps, they would work well for this too I think.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 12 of 14
japike

If you use view reps, then you may also be able to make use of the view rep parts list filter.

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2022
Message 13 of 14
Cadmanto

The save all didn't work.  I am not surprised with this assembly.  It has given me all kinds of fits since it's inseption.  Smiley Frustrated

I understand what you are saying and I like your idea about the visbility route, but since I cannot edit the BOM I am stuck continuing down the path I am on.  Unfortunately!!!  I would have originally done this except for what I have stated about my issues with this file.

So I am going to guess that linking the BOM's is not possible.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 14 of 14
Cadmanto
in reply to: japike

Jeff,

Definately been there and done that !!!!  Smiley LOL

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report