Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to drive using text parameters

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
alanambrose
1010 Views, 10 Replies

Possible to drive using text parameters

Hi,

I have what I imagine is a fairly simple requirement. However Smiley Very Happy

I have some similar flat sheet parts defined as an ipart. I want to cut a text string, specific to that part variation, out of each part with a stencil font. I was hoping to use the new 2011 text parameter and some geometry text to cut out some different text from each part by either putting the text in the iPart table or using a multi-value text parameter and the part id (0,1,2,3 etc). However, geometry text doesn't seem to allow text parameters (which is odd as its the most natural use for a text parameter IMHO).

For extra bonus points: While trying 101 variations to accomplish this I found btw that iLogic rules don't seem to work for iParts (i.e. they're greyed out). Is this right?

Also, geometry text doesn't work for splines, ellipses etc?

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Alan

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
MjDeck
in reply to: alanambrose

When you place an iPart in an assembly it creates a member part file.  The member part has a derived body: it doesn't have the features and parameters.  So an iLogic rule won't work in it.

In Inventor 2010, you could create iLogic rules in the iPart factory.  These would work in the factory but not in the member files, so they weren't very useful.  In Inventor 2011, we disabled the ability to put rules in iPart factories.

Here's a link to a method for using Text parameters to drive text in a sketch.  It doesn't work in iParts:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/iProperty-Text-in-ipt-emboss-stock-number/m-p/267093...

Mike Deck
Software Developer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 11
alanambrose
in reply to: MjDeck

OK sounds like my best solution then is to make six copied parts instead of an iPart (and hope I don't have to change any of the original design parameters) and then add the specific text to each part?

Alan

Message 4 of 11
MjDeck
in reply to: alanambrose

Another way to do it would be to add all six versions of the text as separate features to the factory iPart.  Then in each row, set five of the features to Suppress and only one of them to Compute.

This is not pretty, but it should be manageable with six rows.  It might be worth it if your part is complex and you have to change the design later.

Mike Deck
Software Developer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 11
alanambrose

Thanks Mike, that's an interesting alternative to bear in mind for the future.

Alan

Message 6 of 11
FarrenYoung

Is this still not possible in 2012?  I am not able to make it work if it is...

--Farren

************************************************************************************
If this post helps, please click the "thumbs up" to give kudos
If this post answers your question, please click "Accept as Solution"
************************************************************************************
Message 7 of 11
MjDeck
in reply to: FarrenYoung

Farren,

Do you want text in a part sketch that is vairable, and changes when you select a different iPart row?  I'm pretty sure you can't do that in Inventor 2012.

Mike Deck
Software Developer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 11
FarrenYoung

I would like to add text to a sketch, that is driven by a Text paramater.  Currently when I insert a text box I only can see the numeric parameters in the list of parameters.  Numeric parameters will add fine, but not text.  If I change the source to User Parameters (where I have added Text parameters) I get the same error someone showed from 2011, essentially telling me none are available.

--Farren

Message 9 of 11
MjDeck

Just to confirm: you don't want to use this text in an iPart, is that right?

In 2013 (but not 2012), you can select a Text parameter to drive sketch text.  But it won't work in an iPart.

In 2012, you can use an iLogic rule to drive sketch text from a Text parameter.

Mike Deck
Software Developer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 11
FarrenYoung

You are right, this isn't an iPart.

This is an ETO factory file, and I'm not sure how well iLogic will play with ETO 2012, so I don't believe iLogic will be an option.

--Farren

Message 11 of 11
MjDeck

iLogic should work in (part) factory files in ETO 2012.  However, it won't work on ETO Server.  If you try it and have any problems, please post questions on the ETO forum.

Mike Deck
Software Developer
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report