Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to create drawing from assembly of IGES files?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
BrickPlacement
614 Views, 11 Replies

Possible to create drawing from assembly of IGES files?

I've got some IGES files, which I want to place into an assembly, and then create a drawing of the assembly.  

If I open the IGES and place it in a drawing it works.  If I create an assembly, place the same part, and then try and put the assembly into the drawing it doesn't work.  

Attached is the IGES file.  I'm using Inventor 2011.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: BrickPlacement

Convert to a solid

or

right click and select Include Surfaces in the drawing file of the assembly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
BrickPlacement
in reply to: JDMather

Nice, that gets me a drawing!

However, it only has external surfaces (using more complex parts than in previous uploaded file).  Sorry if this us unrelated, still new to this.

Message 4 of 12
JDMather

What version of Inventor are you using?

I will try to post a pdf later that explains how to convert surface bodies to solids.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 12
BrickPlacement
in reply to: JDMather

I'm using 2011.

A guide would be very useful.  I'm learning about breakout views at the moment, which might help... but would really appreciate that pdf if you have it lying around.  Thanks!

Message 6 of 12
markc-uk

That's a really nice, simple 'neutral' file to cut your teeth on. Using my limited experience, I managed to translate your .igs file very easily into a simple solid .ipt in about a minute.

I've recorded my process using snagit but it's a big file (63Mb) so I don't think I'll be able to post it on here. I can email it or upload it somewhere if you want to take a look?

All my neutral file conversion skills have been learned from a presentation that JD did at AU. I bought the tutorial and often refer back to it!!

Message 7 of 12
BrickPlacement
in reply to: markc-uk

That's awesome! Would you be able to upload it to YouTube and post a link? I've got 20 odd parts to do, so a minute a piece isn't too bad. 🙂
Message 8 of 12
markc-uk

Erm, possibly....I'll speak to my social media consultant (12 year old son) when I get in from work.

If all goes well, it'll be on youtube in about an hour!!

Message 9 of 12
BrickPlacement

Fantastic, thanks! I'm out of the office until the morning now, so no immediate rush.
Message 10 of 12
JDMather

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2008/ML205-1P%20Mather.pdf

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2008/ML205-1P-Dataset.zip

These are a little old - but works the same way in your release.

There is now something called Repair Environment in addition or rather than Construction Environment.  2010/2011/2012/2013

EESignature

Message 11 of 12
markc-uk

OK, so the video is now on YouTube, here's the url

http://youtu.be/ASq4M1g3Nnk

It look a bit small on screen but hopefully it will give you an idea. The main steps are: click >options before opening the file just to confirm your settings. Unfortunately, there are no hard and fast rules about the options  to set in here and on more complex files it will invovlve trial and error. Then click >open. RMB on the composite in the browser and click >copy to construction environment. Drag the End Of Part marker above the composite feature. RMB on the EOP marker and click>delete all features below marker. RMB on the construction folder and click >edit construction. Expand out the folder to see what it contains. RMB on the surfaces node and click >unstitch. RMB on the surfaces node and click>quality check>examine. It passes - good news! RMB on the surfaces node and click >stitch. Notice it stitches up cleanly into a solid. Now RMB on the solid and >copy object. Select solid to copy the new solid from the Construction Environment to the part environment. RMB and click>exit construction environment. You're back in the usual part editing environment. RMB on the construction folder and click >delete. Pat yourself on the back as you've translated your first iges file!

JD - I'm sure there might be some comments or feedback but I think I've covered most of it?

Message 12 of 12
BrickPlacement

Perfect, this is exactly what I needed!  Thanks very much indeed, and thanks to your son too! Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report