Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Software Transition- HELP

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
IlliniDawn
654 Views, 17 Replies

Possible Software Transition- HELP

I've been put in charge of reviewing a couple of 3D modeling programs to help determine if they will help eliminate some of the problems we are currently having with our current modeler, SolidWorks.  During my review I've seen one major hurdle in this possible transition, and was wondering if someone could provide some insight.

We rely heavily on configurations here, and have thousands of SolidWorks files that may contain anywhere from 2-30 configurations (parts and assemblies).  My concern is, if we change over to Inventor, how will these parts/assembly files transfer.  Will we be required to save each individual configuration as a separate part/ assembly and then re-link all the assemblies and drawings? 

Any and all help is greatly appreciated! 

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
dpsmith85
in reply to: IlliniDawn

I'm not 100% sure how the files will react when you switch from Solidworks to Inventor but I would assume it wouldn't save the configurations of the assemblies or parts.  The reason is because Inventor uses something called Positional and Visual representations to achieve configurations.  It's not as simple as Solidworks.  In Solidworks (if you wanted to) you could just move things around in an assembly file at random and turn off visibility to certain parts and save it as a configuration.  In Inventor everything must be constrained with a mate and then you can change that mate by either supressing it or modifying it (like changing the distance).  I've always found Inventors method to be a little bit more restrictive but just knowing the way the two programs achieve configurations makes me believe they won't transfer very well.

Message 3 of 18
Dennis_Jeffrey
in reply to: dpsmith85

I would pretty much disagree with much of that analysis.

@dpsmith85 wrote:

I'm not 100% sure how the files will react when you switch from Solidworks to Inventor but I would assume it wouldn't save the configurations of the assemblies or parts.  The reason is because Inventor uses something called Positional and Visual representations to achieve configurations.  It's not as simple as Solidworks.  In Solidworks (if you wanted to) you could just move things around in an assembly file at random and turn off visibility to certain parts and save it as a configuration.  In Inventor everything must be constrained with a mate and then you can change that mate by either supressing it or modifying it (like changing the distance).  I've always found Inventors method to be a little bit more restrictive but just knowing the way the two programs achieve configurations makes me believe they won't transfer very well.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 4 of 18
Dennis_Jeffrey

This is an area I'm researching. Feel free to contact me by email.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 5 of 18
IlliniDawn
in reply to: Dennis_Jeffrey

Dennis I don't see your e-mail posted any where.

Message 6 of 18
mcgyvr

Save yourself a lot of time and money.. Just stick with Solidworks.. Both Solidworks and Inventor are "basically" the same. They compete for the same market and have similar features/functionality. I can guarantee you will not save a single penny making the switch now. Switching at this point will probably cost you money/time (and it could be a considerable amount). You are stuck.You time/money will be much better spent listing your issues with your current package and taking the time to find workarounds or better methods to achieve your goals.

I'm sure others will disagree about switching CAD packages.. If so...I wish you good luck no matter how wrong/silly I think you are. 🙂

If you find a company that says the switch was easy and worth it they are lying. I've been using Inventor since R8.. If i was to switch now I guarantee it would cost me well in excess of $50K in man hours to transition.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 18
rdyson
in reply to: mcgyvr

Without knowing any more than we do, I agree with mcgyvr. Your money would be much better spent hiring a consultant to come in and show you how to use SW in a way that makes it productive for you.

Buying different software that no one is trained in can only result in disaster, probably how you got into your present situation.

However, finding a consultant that can acutally make you productive might be a challange. Depends on what you are actually designing / producing.

PDSU 2016
Message 8 of 18
IlliniDawn
in reply to: rdyson

Thanks for everyone's responses.  I got the impression that changing over all the SW files to Inventor wouldn't be easy, but it looks like it might be near impossible! 

Message 9 of 18
rdyson

Translating the files would be the least of your problems

PDSU 2016
Message 10 of 18
Dennis_Jeffrey
in reply to: mcgyvr

I also agree.It's possible that the issues you have with SW are due to workflows or a lack of training. The bigge hurdle anyone has is dealing with all the legacy files created in another software, in this case SW.

However good support is essential in any package. If your reseller does not provide what you need to solve your problems, try another reseller.

Message 11 of 18
Dennis_Jeffrey

Sorry,

djeffrey@teknigroup.com

Message 12 of 18
mflayler2

I think a lot of people here are missing some important questions to ask you.

Namely, when you say you rely heavily on configurations, does this mean that you are consitantly adding new configurations to your model with each new design?

How are you tracking revisions to individual configurations?  Are you simply adding another column that states which revision that row of the configuration is in?  This is where SW and ProE fail miserably when it comes to tracking revisions of indiviual confiuration revisions.

IF...you are constantly adding new configuration rows to existing configurations, what you really need is a configurator which you can probably do a lot of with the free Driveworks in SW or if you pay an additional 8,000K you can get the full DriveWorks which does about the same as the free iLogic that is in Inventor.  Which you will find does a fantastic job of creating configurators at no additional cost to the company other than the initial switch and modeling cost of that creation of the configurator.

There may be absolutely no need to transfer your files from SW if your workflow is fully described.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 13 of 18
Dennis_Jeffrey
in reply to: mflayler2

Sorry Mark,  I did not miss anything... Here's the OP's original concern:

"My concern is, if we change over to Inventor, how will these parts/assembly files transfer.  Will we be required to save each individual configuration as a separate part/ assembly and then re-link all the assemblies and drawings? "

The basic and correct answer is:  You can't transfer the existing configurations and 2D drawings.

I do agree that Inventor has simpler and more powerful options for many configurations moving forward, however you have not addressed the existing configurations.

Message 14 of 18
mflayler2

That is what I was getting at...How important are the original configurations?  That could change the whole dynamic here given the right response.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 15 of 18
Dennis_Jeffrey

Understood. Not trying to step on toes here... 🙂

Message 16 of 18
IlliniDawn

That is what I was getting at...How important are the original configurations?  That could change the whole dynamic here given the right response.

Currently different configurations are seen/ used as different parts.  For example, one configuration may be the purchased length of an aluminum extrusion, and all the other configurations may be that same extrusion cut to the different lengths required for the different assemblies/products.  

We do not use configurations as a way to document revisions, therefore, the "original" configuration is as important every subsequent config.   

Message 17 of 18
mflayler2

From what is sounds like then, either you will have to redesign your configurations as iParts in Inventor with a Custom Parameter column or you can start using Frame Generator.  The biggest difference here will be that you will have a new file for every configuration member created as either a new part or a derived link to the iPart Factory.  This will make electronic data management easer given you have individual files to track.  If the majority of your configurations are structural steel (I know you used that as a simple example) then the transition won't be too bad.

What I would forsee is keeping your seat of SW around for older designs that need to still be updated using the original configurations, and new designs would use iParts or Frame Generator in Inventor.  Just because you switch from one CAD software to the other doesn't mean you need to do it overnight, but instead draw a line in the sand in product development for new designs.  In the end you will have a little bit of work setting up the way Inventor will do it, but there are some other factors here rather than just the up front work on the transition.  For instance...

Do you want AutoCAD, AutoCAD Mechanical, Showcase, 3DsMax Design, Sketchbook, and Alias Design for free?  WIth Inventor those are now part of the package depending on what Suite you get.  If you are paying for an AutoCAD seat right now as well for any of your work you are potentially paying subscription cost on both ACAD and SW instead of one price for both which is about the same as the SW cost.  If you are not on subscription for SW then you are not getting service packs for your product and are being left out of updates to the software even in the area of hotfixes.

I am sure what you are trying to do in Inventor as compared to SW is not that difficult to set up, but you should ask your reseller if they can show you the best way Inventor would do it and what advice they have with your business practices to help in the transition if you choose to move forward.

Message 18 of 18
stevec781

@IlliniDawn wrote:

Will we be required to save each individual configuration as a separate part/ assembly and then re-link all the assemblies and drawings

Inventor wont open or convert your SW drawings,  and you will also lose your part feature history as well. 

Believe nothing, test everything (do you need symetry mates?)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums