Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

Contributor
IlliniDawn
Message 1 of 18 (416 Views)

Possible Software Transition- HELP

416 Views, 17 Replies
05-20-2011 05:54 AM

I've been put in charge of reviewing a couple of 3D modeling programs to help determine if they will help eliminate some of the problems we are currently having with our current modeler, SolidWorks.  During my review I've seen one major hurdle in this possible transition, and was wondering if someone could provide some insight.

We rely heavily on configurations here, and have thousands of SolidWorks files that may contain anywhere from 2-30 configurations (parts and assemblies).  My concern is, if we change over to Inventor, how will these parts/assembly files transfer.  Will we be required to save each individual configuration as a separate part/ assembly and then re-link all the assemblies and drawings? 

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!  

Valued Contributor
dpsmith85
Message 2 of 18 (405 Views)

Re: Possible Software Transition- HELP

05-20-2011 07:01 AM in reply to: IlliniDawn

I'm not 100% sure how the files will react when you switch from Solidworks to Inventor but I would assume it wouldn't save the configurations of the assemblies or parts.  The reason is because Inventor uses something called Positional and Visual representations to achieve configurations.  It's not as simple as Solidworks.  In Solidworks (if you wanted to) you could just move things around in an assembly file at random and turn off visibility to certain parts and save it as a configuration.  In Inventor everything must be constrained with a mate and then you can change that mate by either supressing it or modifying it (like changing the distance).  I've always found Inventors method to be a little bit more restrictive but just knowing the way the two programs achieve configurations makes me believe they won't transfer very well.

*Pro
Dennis_Jeffrey
Message 3 of 18 (387 Views)

05-20-2011 07:50 AM in reply to: dpsmith85

I would pretty much disagree with much of that analysis.

dpsmith85 wrote:

I'm not 100% sure how the files will react when you switch from Solidworks to Inventor but I would assume it wouldn't save the configurations of the assemblies or parts.  The reason is because Inventor uses something called Positional and Visual representations to achieve configurations.  It's not as simple as Solidworks.  In Solidworks (if you wanted to) you could just move things around in an assembly file at random and turn off visibility to certain parts and save it as a configuration.  In Inventor everything must be constrained with a mate and then you can change that mate by either supressing it or modifying it (like changing the distance).  I've always found Inventors method to be a little bit more restrictive but just knowing the way the two programs achieve configurations makes me believe they won't transfer very well.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
*Pro
Dennis_Jeffrey
Message 4 of 18 (384 Views)

05-20-2011 07:51 AM in reply to: IlliniDawn

This is an area I'm researching. Feel free to contact me by email.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Contributor
IlliniDawn
Message 5 of 18 (372 Views)

05-20-2011 07:57 AM in reply to: Dennis_Jeffrey

Dennis I don't see your e-mail posted any where.

*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 6 of 18 (360 Views)

05-20-2011 08:14 AM in reply to: IlliniDawn

Save yourself a lot of time and money.. Just stick with Solidworks.. Both Solidworks and Inventor are "basically" the same. They compete for the same market and have similar features/functionality. I can guarantee you will not save a single penny making the switch now. Switching at this point will probably cost you money/time (and it could be a considerable amount). You are stuck.You time/money will be much better spent listing your issues with your current package and taking the time to find workarounds or better methods to achieve your goals.

I'm sure others will disagree about switching CAD packages.. If so...I wish you good luck no matter how wrong/silly I think you are. :smileyhappy:

If you find a company that says the switch was easy and worth it they are lying. I've been using Inventor since R8.. If i was to switch now I guarantee it would cost me well in excess of $50K in man hours to transition.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 Product Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 4820k processor (OC'd to 4.4Ghz), Nvidia GTX 770, 16G RAM

Distinguished Mentor
rdyson
Message 7 of 18 (337 Views)

05-20-2011 09:24 AM in reply to: mcgyvr

Without knowing any more than we do, I agree with mcgyvr. Your money would be much better spent hiring a consultant to come in and show you how to use SW in a way that makes it productive for you.

Buying different software that no one is trained in can only result in disaster, probably how you got into your present situation.

However, finding a consultant that can acutally make you productive might be a challange. Depends on what you are actually designing / producing.

Contributor
IlliniDawn
Message 8 of 18 (326 Views)

05-20-2011 10:32 AM in reply to: rdyson

Thanks for everyone's responses.  I got the impression that changing over all the SW files to Inventor wouldn't be easy, but it looks like it might be near impossible! 

Distinguished Mentor
rdyson
Message 9 of 18 (320 Views)

05-20-2011 10:48 AM in reply to: IlliniDawn

Translating the files would be the least of your problems

*Pro
Dennis_Jeffrey
Message 10 of 18 (295 Views)

05-20-2011 08:10 PM in reply to: mcgyvr

I also agree.It's possible that the issues you have with SW are due to workflows or a lack of training. The bigge hurdle anyone has is dealing with all the legacy files created in another software, in this case SW.

However good support is essential in any package. If your reseller does not provide what you need to solve your problems, try another reseller.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!