Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible mistakes in the tutorial "Extrude the Two Sketch Profiles" for 2012?

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
hajimeml
1231 Views, 12 Replies

Possible mistakes in the tutorial "Extrude the Two Sketch Profiles" for 2012?

Hello. I have been trying to follow the steps in this tutorial for hours. There have been no success. After choosing Extrude in Step.1, how do I select the two sketch profiles listed in Step.2?  I cannot select two profiles at the same time. I tried to swap the steps. i.e., First, click sketch2 which includes both scretches made in previuos steps. Then, right click and choose Extrude. However, I cannot extrude both the upper and lower profiles. Moreover, I cannot change the option from Join to Cut as indicated in Steps. 3 and 4. Moreover, Step.5 mentions that the graphical preview changes color from gree to red to indicate the Cut option. There is no green nor red on the screen. Could anybody please check this part of the tutorial? I just can't follow the steps from 2 to the end. Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
JDMather
in reply to: hajimeml

Attach your ipt file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 13
hajimeml

Thanks for the reply. It is under:

WikiHelp>Inventor>English>2012>Help>Tutorials>Inventor Tutorials>Direct Manipulation>Extrude the Two Sketch Profiles

I cannot reproduce the following. I followed the steps but there seems to be mistakes from Step.2 on.

Message 4 of 13
JDMather

The name of the tutorial is Direct Manipulation.
Attach your ipt file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 13
hajimeml

Enclosed is the ipt file for your reference. Thanks in advance.

Message 6 of 13
JDMather

Sketch1 is unconstrained - somehow you just missed the origin.  You can drag it away from the origin and back (watch for green snap).

In any case you got your arc drawn in Sketch2 - but it is incorrect.

When you click your sketch notice that it defaults to Surface Output.

Click on Solid instead of Surface
Expand the dialog box if they told you to collapse it.
Click on the Red Cross.

You might just do better to erase and redraw the sketch rather than trying to figure out the Sketch Doctor.

Can someone show me how to get the arc tangent to that phantom line rather than to the sketch line as shown in attached image? 

Well I got it now.  Is this new in 2012?

Message 7 of 13
hajimeml
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you very much for your help. I am very sorry but as a beginner, I am at a lost. Could you please walk me through step by step?

>Sketch1 is unconstrained - somehow you just missed the origin.  You can drag it away from the origin and back (watch for >green snap).

I downloaded Sketch1 from Autodesk's website. Do you mean the model provided by Autodesk should have been constrained (coincident) to the origin? Why it is required to constrain Sketch1 to the origin?

>In any case you got your arc drawn in Sketch2 - but it is incorrect.

I am a bit confused. I created Work Plane 1 in "Create an Offset Parallel Work Plane". Then, in "Create a New Sketch", I created Sketch2. Next, in "Project Geometry onto the Sketch Plane", Step.2, I selected the top horizontal line, the arc representing the spherical radius (do you mean this arc?) and the x-axis. Do you mean I made mistake in this step?

>When you click your sketch notice that it defaults to Surface Output.

>Click on Solid instead of Surface

Which sketch do you mean? Could you please tell me how I can tell that the sketch defaults to Surface Output?

In the tutorial (the window on the left of the screen shot in the attachment), there are two red arrows pointing to the top horizontal line and the arc. I enclosed a screen shot of what I have done at the end of Step.3. When you wrote "Click on Solid instead of Surface", do you mean I got Step.2 wrong?

Message 8 of 13
JDMather

The problem with Sketch1 has nothing to do with the problem you are experiencing in this case.
It is simply professional practice to fully constrain most, if not every sketch.

You can check for a fully constrained sketch in several ways - look in bottom right corner of screen for one indication.

Another indication is that the sketch will change color (although this might not tell the whole story).

Forget about Sketch1 for now - it really has nothing to do with the problem you are experiencing.

Sketch2

You correctly projected the lines and arcs as indicated in the tutorial.
If I had written the tutorial I would have had you change those projected entities to Construction linetype.

You correctly drew the lines in the earlier file you attached.
But the short arc was somehow incorrectly drawn (I didn't investigate exactly what the problem was - but my guess would be snap points to the lines or multiple small arcs).

The file you just posted is correct up to the step where you draw the lines and arc.  Go ahead and draw these again and then try to extrude or attach the file here.

Message 9 of 13
JDMather

The tutorial is written to teach specific skills and is technically correct as far as I can see, but there are other, perhaps easier and better techniques to get the same geometry.

In general it is better practice to mirror or pattern features rather than sketches.
You really only need to sketch two lines to make that extrude cut, and then mirror or revolve to other side. (see attached).

You should be able to do it both ways.  Post back if you can't figure out one or the other.

Message 10 of 13
hajimeml

It is now working. Thank you very much, JDMather.

Message 11 of 13
MathiasBering

Hello, i know its an old Topic, but canu link the Tutorial?

Mathias
Message 12 of 13
JDMather
in reply to: MathiasBering

What version of Inventor are you using?

What do you see when you go to HelP>Learning Tools>Tutorials?

Message 13 of 13
MathiasBering

Im using Inventor 2013, I found the Tutorial he described, it wasnt that kind of tutorial i was looking for 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report