Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

positoinal reps & visible positions

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
cadman777
449 Views, 9 Replies

positoinal reps & visible positions

Can anybody tell me the work-flow in an idw file for doing this:

Showing in a view the position representation of a part and NOT showing the original position of the same part?

Thanx ....

... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Hi cadman777,

If I understand you question correctly, you should be able to create or edit the view, and select the desired positional representation from the list in the Position are of the Drawing View dialog box.

Another way would be to create an Overlay View that uses the Positional representation and a View representative, where the View representation has the part hidden.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 10

Hi Curtis, thanx for getting back to me.

Find attached a screen shot of what I want to accomplish.

It's probably real simple, but I can't figure it out b/c the software work-flow is backwards or something.

Please note that I already tried to use the View Position in the view dialogue, but it propagates to all the other views, which I dont' want to happen.

I also tried using creating a Positional Overlay on top of a main view, but when I made a representative view w/the part turned off, the software kept turning off the positional view part, not the main view part.

I need to read something simple on how to do this.

Thanx ... Chris

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 4 of 10
dlmsdm1
in reply to: cadman777

The easiest way I think would be to delete that view and place another. That way they aren't linked together and you can use the representation view you choose.

If that view is your base view, click the >> in the dialog box after selecting delete, to save the other views.

Message 5 of 10
cadman777
in reply to: dlmsdm1

Great idea!

So basically, the Inventor 'view logic' for positoinal representation is very limited.

Oh well, time to add another one of those blasted WORK-AROUNDS to this expensive software!

Thanx

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 6 of 10

Hi cadman777,

Attached is a zip file containing a simple data set that demonstrates how to do this by combing View Reps, Pos Reps, and Overlay views. Basically, you will use a combination of view reps and overlays for you both of your projected views. I think this will get you the results you're after.

These files were created in Inventor 2010, which it looks like is the version you are using, and is as far back as I can go.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 7 of 10
wimann
in reply to: cadman777

Yeah I hate to say it Chris but positional representations and levels of detail are set in the parent view and propogated automatically. I know of no way to break a, in this case, projected view's propogation of those two properties. If I absolutely HAD to project the views, then I would do two view reps since those don't propogate. Otherwise I would place two base views so that I could associate each with a respective positional representation.

Sorry there isn't a way to do what you're wanting to do. If it helps: "B" places a base view, "P" projects a view and I've set up custom shortcuts for alignment options such as Vertical and Horizontal (in my case, "I" for vertical and shift+"_" for horizontal). If you don't have any custom shortcuts set up, you may consider them in the future.

Hope this helps.

-Will Mann

Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2020
Message 8 of 10
cadman777
in reply to: wimann

Will,

Thanx for the confirmation of the above advice.

That's the simplest way to do it, until the assembly gets huge (which usually isn't).

It's nice to have help in here when needed ...

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 9 of 10

Hi Curtis,

Nice job! I NEVER would'a thought of this.

It's probably b/c I don't know the workings of the developers like you guys do.

Your method is not so simple, but accomplishes my objective the way I want to.

In SW, they have an easy way of dling these boolean things, but this will suffice.

I prefer Inventor over SW for the work I do, due to the steamlined work-flows and the compact construction of the command structure.

Thanx again ...

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 10 of 10

Curtis,

I tried to duplicate your method, but my 2010Suite would not give the same result.

It just gave me the same thing as always: made all the views of the one part invisible.

So, I resorted to using the same method as 'dimdsdm1' suggested: multiple views (quick and simple).

Any ideas why your method didnt work on my 2010Suite?

Thanx ....

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums