Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Positioning Sketched Symbols

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
navbor
1333 Views, 3 Replies

Positioning Sketched Symbols

I have a lot of small parts to generate and I need to put them on A0 sheets. I have created customer borders (4 pane, 6 pane & so on), so that I can place multiple parts on one sheet.

I have several bits of information that is unique to each part, but must be indicated, so I have created sketched symbols that has model properties in. Effectively each pane on the sheet has it's own "mini title block" that displays the information unique to each part.

I also have assemblies, so therefore I need to display the BOM. I find that the BOM for the assembly "snaps" neatly into the corner of each pane, but I don't seem to be able to get the same effect with the sketched symbols. The positioning of the sketched symbols look "tatty" and once it has a leader attached (which I switch to not visible), the sketch symbol seems to snap to some sort of invisible grid.

Ultimately, I will be delivering the drawings in AutoCAD format so it will be possible to zoom up and see these mis-alignments very clearly. That makes things look very unprofessional.

Does anyone know of a way to position the sketched symbols neatly.

Thanks

Rob

Regards
Rob
-------------------------------------------
Windows 7 Pro (X64)
Intel(R) core (TM) i5-4690 CPU @ 3.50GHz
32.0 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro K2000
Autodesk Inventor 2015 Professional Ultimate Design Suite
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Rory_M
in reply to: navbor

Have you set an Insertion Point grip in your sketched symbol?

If not then edit the sketched symbol, place a point into it (Place it at the corner of the symbol you would like to snap to).

Select the point and then click "Set Insertion point grip" as shown.

I've shown one at the centre of a rectangle. When I place this rectangle I can get the centre of it to snap to the border of the drawing.

grip.jpg

Finish editing and now place your sketched symbol. Hopefully it should do what you want.

Regards

Rory

Message 3 of 4
navbor
in reply to: Rory_M

Hello Rory,

Thanks very much, I tried that and although it is a lot better (it does not snap to the "invisible grid" anymore) and I have a lot more freedom to move it manually, I still cannot get the sketch symbol to snap to the corner of the border pane.

Regards
Rob
Windows 7 Pro (X64)
32.0 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro K2000
Message 4 of 4
navbor
in reply to: navbor

Sorry Rory, my apologies. It does work exactly like you say, provided you insert a new sketch block. I the previous post, I edited the definition of a sketched symbol already inserted into the drawing and then move it.

Thanks, that seems to solve it.

Regards
Rob
Windows 7 Pro (X64)
32.0 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro K2000

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report