Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point Cloud

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
chachaman
629 Views, 6 Replies

Point Cloud

Hello,

Is there a  way to import the following point data. It is a .txt file.  There are not so many points,  but each one is important. Ideally, each point that is placed, would be identified with it's own point label with the same point number as in the file.

I tried Import point cloud in 2013, but you can hardly see the points. What is more, since the points are not labeled, you have no idea which point is which.

I need a workflow for a small , yet very meaningful quantity of points. That is why I want to be able to identify each point in the cloud.

Thanks in avance for sharing your insights !

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
DonovanCox
in reply to: chachaman

If you save that to an excel sheet you could import the points into a 3D sketch, but I'm not sure how you'd get the points to be labeled. 

Message 3 of 7
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

I need a workflow for a small , yet very meaningful quantity of points.

What are you going to do with the points?

A named 3D Sketch for each point would be one method.

You can control the size of the points from Tools>Application Options>General Tab>Annotation Scale.

You can toggle the representation as Points/Center Points upper right corner in the sketch environment.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
chachaman
in reply to: JDMather

Hello JD and thanks for your interest.

The points have been gathered by a field surveyor. They represent the dimensional boundaries  of an architectural assembly (Example : staircase or a Store front)

Once we get these points, we establish a surface model of the job gemoetry. We use this model  to derive parts from it, and/or use it in a top down skeletal model.

See attached pic.

Regards

Message 5 of 7
JDMather

It appears to me that the coordinates of many points are approximations - for example, for all practical purposes these are all 100

Points.JPG

You might have Excel round them or simply round them yourself (with such a small number of points).

If rounding is appropriate and acceptable -

I would put in to 2D sketches as Named Sketch Blocks on appropriate planes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
chachaman
in reply to: JDMather

Hello JD,

The data is in meters with the benchmark at 100 meters.  All dimensions are relative to the bench mark.

Therefor, 99.987m  is 13 mm  away from 100 m. (100m-99.987m = 0.013m)

That is the convention by which field surveyors get data on a total station.

I hope that makes sense !?

Regards

Message 7 of 7
samuelwilliam

point cloud is 3D cordinate system and its created by a 3D scanners, its represent set of points for measuring a device.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report