Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help with flat pattern

32 REPLIES 32
SOLVED
Message 1 of 33
jeregonn
774 Views, 32 Replies

Please help with flat pattern

I am having trouble finding a work around to get this part into a usable flat pattern. I received the part originally as a stp file. I am running autodesk Inventor 2010. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

32 REPLIES 32
Message 21 of 33
jeregonn
in reply to: jeregonn

This is what I have so far. How do I get the part I have drawn to match up to the part I am re-creating?

Message 22 of 33
mrattray

Why did you do this again?

Capture.JPG

Anyways, once you replace that duplicate dimension with a tangent constraint go ahead and use an unfold feature, then use the hole feature for the round holes and a cut feature for the notch, then use refold to finish the model.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 23 of 33
jeregonn
in reply to: mrattray

I do not understand how I would know where to locate the holes

Message 24 of 33
JDMather

Create Axis through the holes of the original part and perhaps some workpoints at intersection of axis and projected part face and then create a dimension a drawing.

You are probably going to have to experiment a bit because of bend stretching, but designers tend to use nice easy numbers for the finished center-to-center distances and angles.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 25 of 33
jeregonn
in reply to: JDMather

Ok, thank you for your patience. I had some trainging a few years back but it was in 3D modeling only. We didnt even touch on sheet metal tools and now I have a job at a sheet metal fab shop.

I will attempt this and post my resluts.

Message 26 of 33
JDMather

If you don't get it figured out - just hollar back and someone will find a solution.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 27 of 33
mrattray

"Hollar back"? Smiley LOL

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 28 of 33
jeregonn
in reply to: mrattray

To make this easier we are going to be locating the holes on the formed edge after the part has been formed.

This is where I am at with the part now. I have located the holes on planar piece of this but am having trouble getting the profile of this feature cut out.

Message 29 of 33
JDMather

This sketch isn't very good quality - if you zoom in here close you will see there are actually two arcs.

Double arc.JPG Also two arcs and overlapping at other end.

Message 30 of 33
jeregonn

I projected the geometry from the customers model to a sketch and then copied that sketch and placed it on my part to aid in locating the features. 

Message 31 of 33
JDMather

I always change projected geometry like this to Construction linetype.

Message 32 of 33
jeregonn

Should I be able to trace around the projected geometry and cut away the mat'l I do not want?

Message 33 of 33
JDMather

Cut.PNG

Yes, of course you can - but you have to create clean sketches rather than those overlapping non-tangent arcs.

Keep in mind that designers use nice regular numbers for arc sizes - dimension them!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report