Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Help Me Emboss On Non-Round/Conical Faces

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
fretrip7
886 Views, 8 Replies

Please Help Me Emboss On Non-Round/Conical Faces

Greetings!

I'm getting my butt kicked on this Emboss feature and I don't know what else to do.  I'm stuck and my client is tapping toes, please help!

I've attached the file (Inventor 2013).  The sketch shown is a raised lip I'd like to have around a future opening.  I actually want that sketch to wrap all the way around the body, but taper down to 0 in the rear as there are to be hinge plates.  This is going to be a grill/smoker and there needs to be a 3/8" raised lip at the future seam of the top and bottom.  Shown in the model is just the top portion.  

Any helpful information would be awesome.  I'll be monitoring this post non-stop, so if there are any questions about what I'm trying to achieve please let me know and I'll answer right away.

Thanks in advance!

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
rdyson
in reply to: fretrip7

Your sketch profile is longer than the surface you're trying to emboss on. Shorten the profile and it'll succeed.

Image1.png

PDSU 2016
Message 3 of 9
fretrip7
in reply to: rdyson

Great, thanks for the tip. I see that the profile ends on the side. Do you know how I can have it wrap towards the back more?
Message 4 of 9
fretrip7
in reply to: rdyson

I tried that, but it will only cut, not extrude out like I need it too.  Also, it seems to have wrapped to the back which is good, but it also mirrored the arched opening.  On top of that, they don't meet on the sides.  

Any ideas?

Thanks again.

3.jpg

Message 5 of 9
JDMather

You didn't state how far to "extrude"?

Smoker.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 9
fretrip7
in reply to: JDMather

JD, you're the man. I had .375 as the depth, but no matter what direction I selected it said it didn't produce a meaningful result. Can you please post the file so I can see what you did?

Also, any ideas on how to get the sides to simply continue to the back without copying the front arch? Done in two steps?

TY!
Message 7 of 9
fretrip7

I found a post that you helped someone with a similar issue and have been checking out the files you posted (soapB, soapy, and soapC) and have been dabbling with the Surface Offset, Extrude, Trim methods but with no luck so far. I'm sure it's Operator Error...
Message 8 of 9
JDMather

I recommend that you start over from scratch on this one.

Did you use the Autodimension tool? (your dimensions don't look logical to me)

Is there supposed to be some symmetry in the Middle sketch? (left to right? top to bottom?)

More points does not equate to better spline curve.

The actual solution to your problem is quite simple, but I would worry about getting the base geometry correct first.

Also, when referencing other thread you should provide the url.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 9 of 9
fretrip7

Yes, I mostly just used the Autodim because I was drawing off of an image and the shape is the shape. So I figured the Autodim would be fine.

The Middle sketch was actually projected from an old sketch and then when I used Break Link it added additional points. Symmetry left to right, but front to back is different. The shape of the body is exactly what the client wants. Please explain how the geometry is incorrect so I understand what you mean.

That being said, what is "the actual solution that is quite simple"?

The other post I was mentioning is at http://http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Emboss-error-topology-change/m-p/4373131/highl...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report