Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLEASE HELP cant perform an extrusion cut. need advice creating complex geometry

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
fundk
1118 Views, 9 Replies

PLEASE HELP cant perform an extrusion cut. need advice creating complex geometry

I am trying to render a 2d logo in 3d. The attached file should give a good idea on what I’m trying to create. The 2d logo is depicted in sketch 2. I want to maintain that 2d shape. For some reason I can’t extrude the extra material outlined in sketch 38/47/. I have been working on this for what seems like an eternity and am hoping there is an expert who can give me advice on whether my approach to this is correct. I’ve tried a half dozen different ways and to create this geometry and nothing simple has worked. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: fundk

Sketch2 appears to be very very poor quality to me.

I don't see a single Tangent constraint, yet it appears that there should be many.

Not only are most (if not all) of the curves not tangent, at least one is overlapping.

overlapping curves.PNG

I would be using Loft rather than Sweep or Extrude.

I recommend starting over.

Notice all the i in circles in the browser.  Are you aware that indicates problems?

You should go through this document http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
JDMather

@fundk wrote:

..... I want to maintain that 2d shape. ...

Well, I took a closer look and was going to show you how it should be done, but on closer examination the 2D geometry was so poorly created that I had to abandon the effort.

These two .012 dimensions were exactly overtop of each other.  Why two dimensions?  And they were equations - so you entered them.  And the radius is the same?  There should be only one dimensions, not 3.  And surely the arc at the bottom is intended to be tangent?

I recommend that you create one circle at the origin and dimension it.

Attach the file here before creating the next arc.

Step-by-step this problem can be solved.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 4 of 10
JDMather

experimented a bit more.

Virtually all of your dimensions and geomtry are double in Sketch2?

Where did this sketch come from? AutoCAD? Some other program?

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

I deleted all the duplicate geometry, dramatically reducing the number of dimensions needed.

As I started to fix the rest of the sketch - I see three arcs with the same dimension.

(was 6 arcs) these can obviously be replaced with one arc.

3 arcs.png

EESignature

Message 6 of 10
JDMather

After fully constraining (including making the arcs tangent) the curves are much more aesthetically pleasing.

constrained sketch.PNG

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
JDMather

Are you making any progress with the Tangent constraint?

EESignature

Message 8 of 10
JDMather

I thought I had seen this before -

a search turned up this thread from 1 yr ago

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Cant-create-fillets-PLEASE-HELP/m-p/3549160

The sketch in that file was flawed, but better than your current sketch?

You should reference previous attempts rather than start new threads for the same problem so that there is continuity in discussion.

Did you draw this sketch in Inventor or is it imported from another program (like AutoCAD)?

If it was imported - can you attach the original file here?

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
fundk

Hey JD,

Thank you for your impute. I started this project a year ago and had to put it aside for a while. The initial crap sketch that I created was done in autocad. Since the post I recognized the duplicate geometry and cleaned most of it up. I will incorporate your other recommendations. Thank you very much for taking the time to look at the abysmal work.

Message 10 of 10
JDMather

Once you get the sketch cleaned up with tangent arcs and lines where appropriate, I think the solution will involve some Lofted features.  There is a bit of a trick to get it to work.  Post back when you are ready.  I will try to post some example files tomorrow that will give you some guidance.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums