Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plane Tangent to a Curved Surface

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
elizabeth.dawe
8039 Views, 5 Replies

Plane Tangent to a Curved Surface

Hi,

I'm designing a part, and am having trouble creating a plane tangent to a curved surface. One option for creating a plane says "Tangent to Surface through Point", which in theory I should be able to use, but I can't figure out how to actually place a point there before in order to create a surface at the point.

Basically I am trying to cut a circle into the curved right side of the part, and I'm looking for some help. Any other methods are also greatly appreciated.

I've attached the part file for reference.

Thanks!

Elizabeth

Using Autodesk Inventor Professional 2013

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mrattray
in reply to: elizabeth.dawe

There's lots of ways to accomplish this, but they each result in different geometery. This is using the emboss tool with the wrap to face option. I have no idea if that's what you actually want.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 6
JDMather

@elizabeth.dawe wrote:

Basically I am trying to cut a circle into the curved right side of the part, ....

There are an infinite number of tangent plane solutions - you will need to sketch line indicate where you want the tangency.

BTW - you are still not employing obvious symmetry about the origin and duplicating dimensions.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 6
elizabeth.dawe
in reply to: mrattray

Mike,

That is exactly what I have been trying to do, but on a different face! How did you create the sketch plane?

Thanks,

Elizabeth

Message 5 of 6
mrattray

I didn't. I sketched right on the XZ origin plane.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 6 of 6
elizabeth.dawe
in reply to: mrattray

Perfect. Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report