Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plain AutoCAD 2014 use with Inventor 2014 Suites

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
tahdesign1
1379 Views, 7 Replies

Plain AutoCAD 2014 use with Inventor 2014 Suites

Typically I have always just taken the AutoCAD Mechanical that comes in the IV series and stripped down a profile to just run plain AutoCAD. I then export that as an arg file and force load that profile through a shortcut on the desktops using a /p line switch.

So now you can download a plain version of AutoCAD from the subscription site outside of the IV Suite download. I figured this would allow me to install plain AutoCAD without the need to first strip down and force load a profile.

So I installed the IV suite and authorized it.

Then I figured you are supposed to install the download plain AutoCAD using that same serial number and it seems to take it fine.

However, about half way through the plain AutoCAD install it stops and asks for AutoCAD Disk 1?

It will not continue the install without it.

This is downloaded software. No disks involved. Any body seen this and know the issue?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Rory_M
in reply to: tahdesign1

Assuming you've installed the full suite, you can use the plain AutoCAD shortcut that it creates.

On my install of Inventor Product Design Suite ultimate I can start vanilla AutoCAD from:

Start Menu > All Programs > Autodesk > AutoCAD Mechanical 2014 - English > AutoCAD 2014 - English - AutoCAD Mechanical

AutoCAD Mechanical has a shortcut called:

Start Menu > All Programs > Autodesk > AutoCAD Mechanical 2014 - English > AutoCAD Mechanical 2014 - English

They're not clearly named, but it should give you exactly what you're looking for.

It's been similar to this on all previous release too so I'm not sure why you've had to modify profiles in the past.

I don't think you don't need the seperate download. Maybe the other suite versions are different to PDSU though.

Hope this is useful

Rory

Message 3 of 8
LT.Rusty
in reply to: Rory_M

@Rory_M wrote:

Maybe the other suite versions are different to PDSU though.

I'm not 100% positive, but I think they might be.  I've got PDSU 2013 on my workstation, and the vanilla ACAD shortcut is there.  Some of the other guys in the office have PDSS, though, and they didn't have the shortcut for vanilla ACAD.  I had to download it from the subscription site and install it for them, then connect their Vault client to it.  Might have been something peculiar to the deployment they were working from, though - I know there's a lot of things with Inventor that don't work on their installations that do on mine, and I'm not talking about Pro-only features.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 4 of 8
blair
in reply to: LT.Rusty

I've found that last couple of installs of PDSU, I had to add the shortcut to the desktop for ACAD. It's in the ADSK menu but never gets added to the desktop.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 8
tahdesign1
in reply to: blair

OK so I think we are missing the real question here.

With the subscriptions now you can also download JUST AutoCAD from the website per each serial number.

However, when I try to use that downloaded media for JUST AutoCAD it stops in the middle and asks for a disk.

Why would downloaded media do this and how do you get around it. I have not found a way so far.

Message 6 of 8
LT.Rusty

If I remember correctly, there's two files you have to download.  If you do the browser download, you should see both of them there.  One quite large, one quite a bit smaller.  (IIRC, they're like 1.5 GB and ~250-300 MB respectively.)

Rusty

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
tahdesign1
in reply to: LT.Rusty

OK well I just checked and since I have several flavors of suites and a single seat of just AutoCAD I can pull down the install from a couple of different places.

In all of the places it only offers a single download for either 32 or 64 bit versions. There is no second smaller file. With the Suite downloads it does pull down more than one file but not with just the AutoCAD alone.  The file download is the same size no mater where you pull it down from.

May be my previous download was messed up so I am pulling down the installation files from just the plain AutoCAD area of my subscription.

Message 8 of 8
CESAR200

Hello tahdesign,

You are correct.  There is only 1 installation file for AutoCAD 2014, either 32-bit or 64-bit.

I chose the 'Download Now', which uses the Autodesk Download Manager, then installed the 64-Bit version and didn't find any issue.  I was never prompted for an installation disk.

AutoCAD Subscription downloads.jpg

AutoCAD file size.jpg

What you can do is download the file again and ensure it has the correct file size.  Test usign the Autodesk Download Manager and the browser download functionality and see if that makes a difference.

If you still find problems or are getting a different file, you can create a support case in Subscription and in step 3 choose 'Software Downloads' as the case type.  One of our representatives will assist you with that problem.

How to request web support from Subscription Center

You can also request the physical installation media by following the procedure below.

How to request product media from Subscription Center

Cesar Valencia
Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report