Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Placing Content Center Features on Sheet Metal part?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
silverpanther
277 Views, 4 Replies

Placing Content Center Features on Sheet Metal part?

So I've managed to create hole patterns to keep consistant measurements for component placement in sheet metal boxes.  It allows me to place the hole features from the content center in standard parts without any problems.  However the place feature option under Manage > Insert is grayed out when I'm working on a sheet metal part.  Any suggestions on how to make this work?  I thought about doing similar with iFeature.  However I like how it places via the use of the content center better.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mpatchus
in reply to: silverpanther

I think for sheet metal you would need to create the hole features as a punch.

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 3 of 5
silverpanther
in reply to: mpatchus

But with a punch there's only one center point.  I need to be able to center point each individual hole placed by the feature.  Appreciate the quick reply.

Message 4 of 5
mpatchus
in reply to: silverpanther

True a punch can only have one center point.

Try creating an iFeature of your hole pattern.

iFeatures can be inserted into sheet metal parts.

ifeature.JPG

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 5 of 5
silverpanther
in reply to: mpatchus

Yup, I can do it via iFeature, but as I mentioned I'm not fond of how its added in that manner.  I believe I figured out how to do it.  It appears if you select a face or work plane and create a new sketch then while in sketch edit you can then go to Manage > Insert > Feature and place the created features from the content center.  Definitely appreciate the input and suggestions mpatchus!  However think I figured this one out on my own after some additional fiddling around.  Man this is gonna make things so much easier and more consistant.  🙂

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums