Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Place dimension weirdness

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
karthur1
293 Views, 3 Replies

Place dimension weirdness

Watch this video to see the issue. When I try to place an angular dimension, the view justs and the dim is not placed correctly.  This is the base view, but notice how when I try to move the view, there is a horizontal line going off into space to the right.  This should be going back toward the projected view, but its not.  If I copy/paste the view, it copies over the same behavior.

I can blow away the view and place it again on the sheet and everything works fine.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Cadmanto
in reply to: karthur1

Wow, that is a bizzare one.

Have you tried importing the dimensions from your model?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 4

How about making sure your part face (plane) is parallel with the IDW (sheet) plane? I've had similar weird results with complicated FG members that I have demoted to an assy file so I can detail them. Because the FG member uses the Frame UCS. From memory you can select the first dimension line and then RMB and there is an option for selecting the alignment? of the dimension with the part or the sheet plane. I forget the exact terminology as I don't do it too often.

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

Message 4 of 4

@brendan.henderson wrote:

.... From memory you can select the first dimension line and then RMB and there is an option for selecting the alignment? of the dimension with the part or the sheet plane.....

I dont have a right-click option like that when I am dimensioning.  I did make sure that the part face was parallel with the sheet (Edit View>Change view orientation).  It still jumps when I place the angular dim.  It is easy enough to fix for this one part (delete view and redimenion).  Good thing it is just this one view.

This idw was a "Copy Design" of another design. The original idw was created in 2010 and it does the same thing, so it is not a 2013 thing.  I could send the file to AD if someone there is interested in looking at it and try to see why the view is hosed (ref. F3253-066)

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report