Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe length from extrusion for BOM

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
cstringer80
861 Views, 11 Replies

Pipe length from extrusion for BOM

Here is my issue, We've got a lot of pipe added from CC then manually edited the extrusion length (D2) while modeling (not using tube and pipe).  Now I want to get pipe lengths from the BOM.   Currently the BOM gives the PL parameter as length, which is incorrect.

I know I can rename D2 and mark it as an exported parameter and add that to the BOM.

I think I could also make PL equal to D2 which would also solve the problem.

Both of these solutions would require opening and editing hundreds of parts, taking a LONG time.

Sounds like a job for Ilogic, but I've never used it.  Any ideas to get me started?

Any other non-ilogic solutions would also be appreciated.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
blair
in reply to: cstringer80

Not really sure how to fix this.

The reason to use CC is to be able to RMB on the CC item in the IAM and select "Change Size". This then updates all the iProperties which are read into the BOM

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 12
cstringer80
in reply to: blair

Yes, but that seems to take too long.  I've found it quicker to just edit the feature.  I also use a lot of adaptivity to set pipe lengths, which edits the extrusion as well.

I don't use the Tube&Pipe module because I don't have pro version, and from what I've seen it don't give the kind of control I want.

I've also never needed to use the BOM until today.

I would think some ilogic code to make PL = to D2 or simply rename D2 and mark as export shouldn't be too extreme, but I know nothing about Ilogic.  I'm still an inventor noob.

Message 4 of 12
blair

The CC is not part of the Tube and Pipe.

You may look at: http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2014/Help/1283-Inventor1283/3614-Collabor3614/3803-Design_...

this might help you

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 12
cstringer80

Yes, I know CC is not part of T&P, but the CC fittings and pipes are made to work with T&P (correct?) If I had changed all my pipe lengths using the T&P module it would have put the proper value in PL parameter making my BOM accurate. (And least that's what I've figured from research)

Looking into the design assistant, but it seems that's more useful for setting up custom parts with paramaters outside CC.  So, I could make a custom pipe part with a PL parameter that equals the extrusion length, then insert/copy/derive somehow my many pieces of pipe.

All that is nice, and if we start using the BOM more often will look into fixing our template parts, but it dosn't help me today.

Are you saying there is no way to use ilogic code to go into each existing pipe piece (800+) and make PL = D2?  CAn you do that with design assistant and I'm just not seeing it?

Message 6 of 12
blair

Nope, CC can be used outside of the T&P enviroment, just like the CC pipes, bolts, nuts and all the other CC parts.

Not up on the iLogic enough to comment.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 12
coreyparks

If you go into each part and add a rule, I would name it something simple and consistent from one file to the next, then add this bit of code it should work for what you want.  Not sure if it being a content center file would mess anything up with this.  Try it on a few parts and see if this gives you what you want.  It's simply saying if PL is greater than or less than D2 then make PL equal D2.

IF PL <> D2 Then

PL = D2

End IF

Please mark this response "Accept as solution" if it answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks
Message 8 of 12
cstringer80

Yes, exactly.  CC parts can be used outside T&P, which is exactly what I did.  I didn't use T&P and didn't edit my lengths through the CC dialogs... which why my PL parameter is no longer equal to the actual pipe length (extrusion length).

But if I had used T&P the PL param would have been updated correctly, because CC parts are made to work with T&P (but can also be used outside T&P)

And the BOM is set to use PL param as the pipe length, hense my problem.

Message 9 of 12
cstringer80
in reply to: coreyparks

@coreyparks wrote:

If you go into each part and add a rule,

If I take the time to open up all 800+ pieces of pipe I wouldn't need an ilogic solution.  And I wouldn't need to add a rule, I could simply open up each piece of pipe and make PL = D2. 

But it's 800+ pieces of pipe.  Doing it manually one by one would take too long.

Message 10 of 12
blair

The problem is your length is now the sum of a couple of parameters, your CC length + extrusion.

Not sure if iLogic will work as well for a quick fix as you can't just filter for CC if you have used other CC parts.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 11 of 12
cstringer80

@Blair wrote:

The problem is your length is now the sum of a couple of parameters, your CC length + extrusion.

Not sure if you are following the issue.  My pipe length is D2, the extrusion length. 

I place pipe via CC.  make length = 12 in.  Now PL and D2 = 12in.

but to make the pipe longer i edit the extrusion feature (d2) either manually or by making the pipe adaptive, making it say, 16.568in long.

Now D2 (the extrusion feature) = 16.568in but PL still equals 12. 

The BOM pulls piple length from PL.

there is no adding parameters involved as far as I can tell.

Message 12 of 12
swalton

Going forward, you may want to change your workflow a bit.  Use the parameters window to edit the PL value and see if it changes the length of the extrusion.

I have not tired this yet, but see this thread for a batch tool to add ilogic code to existing files:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor-Customization/iLogic-Form-Injector/td-p/3550486

Create an ilogic rule that will set PL to D2 and add it to all of your files with the injector tool. 

Again I have not run this workflow, but it looks like a place to start.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report