Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pietenpol Airframe project

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
rkirk77
578 Views, 6 Replies

Pietenpol Airframe project

Hi Guys,

I have been trying for days to make this airframe and I am getting a bit lost.  I have tried using the Frame Genorator to get the correct material (4130 chromoly steel with  .035 wall thickness) but it doesn't exhist. 

What is the best way to reproduce this structure?

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

At users request

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Intel i7 870 @ 2.93 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 580 GTX 1536MB GDDR5
8 GB Ram
250GB HDD
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
blair
in reply to: rkirk77

Frame-Gen would be the easiest way. I don't have the files at home (back at the office) to show how to Author componets for Frame-Gen. This would be the easiest to Author your own tube to use.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 7
rkirk77
in reply to: blair

How exactly do you author your own pipe dimensions in FG?

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Intel i7 870 @ 2.93 GHz
8 GB Ram
250GB HDD
Message 4 of 7
vex
Collaborator

Here's the basic help file for the Frame Generator (if you ever have a question regarding a feature in Inventor you can hover over the tool and then press f1 to bring up the specific help relating to that tool. It's a handy feature I use almost daily): http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-FAF2FFB2-8965-482C-9691-530954AF59E1

In particular if you look here: http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-D78D9AEB-0DE4-471C-ADBC-543669BEDB71
You will find what you are looking for.

Now, I offer you some unasked for advice, so please take this for what it's worth. I would suggest foregoing the frame of the aircraft until after you have developed the body. I understand it's canvas wrapped, but if you're going to produce the body in a final type of model I would suggest getting the exterior skin handled first and then progressing to integrating the frame. Your thin walled structure (aka body) may cause you more trouble than it's worth to model it first and then attempt to make the skin join it... though the more I think about it, I suppose if you used the frame and derived a part at the assembly level you could put 3D-sketch points at the various frame locations and then make a 3D spline run longitudinally, Then run a loft from one end to the other using the longitudinal splines as rails. That may actually work now.

I tried to do something similarly in 2012 and had limited success until I did the body first and mated the internal structure to it after the fact (Human powered aircraft).

Message 5 of 7
blair
in reply to: vex

This should help.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 7
rkirk77
in reply to: blair

Oddly, it says that it cannot do tubing.. lol

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Intel i7 870 @ 2.93 GHz
8 GB Ram
250GB HDD
Message 7 of 7
blair

It does round pipe as well as round stock, which is really the same as Tubing. Possibly it's an early PDF when Fram-Gen was first introduced.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report