Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picking coinciding parts for an item balloon.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
HarryP108
1697 Views, 17 Replies

Picking coinciding parts for an item balloon.

How do I pick a part to balloon it when the line is actually two parts beside each other? eg a wall sheet welded to a square column. I can 'toggle" between the two but am unable to pick the other part so continually get the item balloon for the part I don't want.

This has been bugging me for some time - I don't like over-riding item balloons.

cheers.

Inventor Professional.
Windows 10.
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
IgorMir
in reply to: HarryP108

The only way I could think of is to turn the visibility of the unwanted part off in a drawing view. Then turn it back on after placing a needed item balloon.

The toggle option you are talking about falls into a category of "the lights are on but nobody's home".

Regards,

Igor. 

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 3 of 18
HarryP108
in reply to: IgorMir

Thanks Igor - a "clunky" way of achieving a result but effective nonetheless. I do not understand why I get the "toggle" - it seems useless.

Cheers. 

Inventor Professional.
Windows 10.
Message 4 of 18
IgorMir

I think the toggle is there to encourage you (and others) to learn different workarounds. Imagine if the toggle worked as expected. You would never had a need to ask a question!Smiley Happy

Regards,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 5 of 18
kstate92
in reply to: IgorMir

Inventor should offer the same option AutoCAD (I know, I know; IV != Acad) has: using the tab key to cycle through your enabled Osnap options as a way highlight each possible part nearest  the pointer.  Plus the ability to map that function to a contextual controller button.

KState92
Inventor Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2022.0.1
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - 1903
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 6 of 18
Carl_mgfx

I have recently come into this problem as well.  A customer wants to balloon items that are obscured by other parts or share the same edges.  It is not always possible (or practical) to set the visibility of the obstructing part off, due to visual representations, and then back on after ballooning.

Attached is a pic that will hopefully help explain what I'm talking about (Not the data being used by our customer but a comparable example). In View 1 it is difficult to find an edge belonging to part 2 in order to balloon that part, every time an edge is selected it either balloons part 1 or 3.

I tried setting selection to part priority and place a balloon with the leader in the middle of the part (I know this is a possibility in other CAD packages) but found that you have to select an edge of the part.

So I thought it might be possible to cycle through the parts using the "Select other" HUD that pops up after "x" seconds, but when I select the required part in the "Select other" HUD it does nothing?

Have there been any fixes or improved work arounds suggested for this issue? Is there a way to use the "Select other" HUD menu or is this something Autodesk should have a look at?  I have seen a few other posts with similar themes as this.

Kind Regards
Carl van Rooyen
Application Engineer

Inventor 2019, Vault 2019,
HP ZBook 15u G4, Win 10 64Bit (ver 1709), i7-7500U, 16 GB Ram
Intel HD Graphics 620 with AMD Firepro W4190M
Message 7 of 18
mpatchus
in reply to: Carl_mgfx

Try adjusting the "Locate Tolerance" setting.

Locate Tolerance.JPG

You should be able to cycle through all parts that share a common edge.

Balloon Pick.JPG

Balloon 2.JPG

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 8 of 18
Carl_mgfx
in reply to: mpatchus

Thanks for the reply.

Although I have no problem with cycling through the parts, its once I click to select which part I want to apply the balloon to.  The part I scroll to in the "Select other" HUD (Red insert) highlights but when I click to select it the selection defaults back to the other part (Green cylinder).... I cannot then click to place the balloon on the Red insert insted it places the balloon on the Green cylinder...

I hope this explination is clear enough, otherwise I will install a video capture program and post a short vid of the selection method I am using.

Kind Regards
Carl van Rooyen
Application Engineer

Message 9 of 18
MCBUS

Here is another work around. For complex assemblies you might have to "attach balloon from list..."

http://screencast.com/t/4yLxfYRFhye

Message 10 of 18
HarryP108

Best workaround I found was to put balloon in, then right click "attach balloon from list", choose the correct part you want to balloon from the list, place balloon as required, then right click the unwanted balloon and choose "remove balloon".

Yet again - clunky - but does the trick.

Regards.

Inventor Professional.
Windows 10.
Message 11 of 18
Carl_mgfx

Thanks for the suggestion. It is a bit clunky but it works well and you don't have to worry about setting the visibility and worrying about view reps ect.

I would be nice fot the "Select other" to work or by not having to click on an edge 😕

Think I might add this to the wishlist for next release.

Kind Regards
Carl van Rooyen
Application Engineer

Message 12 of 18
MCBUS

Yes it is still a bit clunky. Not sure if you noticed when you use "attach balloon" you can then use the selection tool. 

Message 13 of 18
Carl_mgfx
in reply to: MCBUS

I missed that the first time round... unfortunately it only makes a long process (when being repeated often) a slight bit shorted (or even longer if you have to hover and wait for the "Select other" HUD).

Kind Regards
Carl van Rooyen
Application Engineer

Message 14 of 18
JimSteinmeyer

Great idea guys! that definately goes in the column of " If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying"! I like it and it isn't too time consuming.

Jim

Inventor Premium 2013 SP1.1
Vault 2013- plain vanilla version
HP G71 notebook
celeron cpu w\ 4gb RAM and 64 bit system
Win 7 home premium

Ya, my boss has me running my personal machine at work.
Message 15 of 18
nick.barbour

Could this get prioritised for fixing soon.

It amazes me that ballooning where object lines overlap, still doesn't work in2018.

The select other gui just refuses to pick the item you want.

Message 16 of 18

Despite the setting, it doesn't work for me. Nothing happens.
Message 17 of 18
SharkDesign

You could try using autoballon and drag a box around the parts. It will only pick each item once. 

Expert Elite
  Inventor Certified Professional
Message 18 of 18

Hi Christophe,

I think it should work. If possible, please share an example that exhibits otherwise behavior.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report