Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photoshop to illustrator to autocad to autocad inventor confused

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
aromis
2353 Views, 6 Replies

Photoshop to illustrator to autocad to autocad inventor confused

Okay so i make a Logo in Adobe Photoshop cs6, the logo is awesome the logo is perfect

i finish off the logo by turning it into layers, then opening into illustrator

in illustrator i open it image trace thus making it a vector and save as .ai

i open the .ai version and export as .dwg

selecting  "maximum editability"

now i have it in a .dwg format

so now i dont know where to go do i take it into autocad and do somthing to do somthing else or do i just bring it into inventor

so i open autodesk inventor 2012

import the .dwg

it is now inside inventor and looks good

except it needs dimensions

i use auto dimension and it crashes

i try to extrude without it, then the image loses its shape,

so now i am stuck

any chance someone can have a look, see what i am doing wrong figure it out and then give me a step by step

i have encluded the .psd the .ai and .dwg files as i have not a clue at what point i am making the big mistake

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
-niels-
in reply to: aromis

I've played with your psd file a bit, but i can't get any useable geometry by taking it through the steps you described.

I think it would be easier to save as an image file (jpg, png, bmp), place that image in a sketch in inventor and then trace/redraw there.

Your image seemed to have good symmetry, so it shouldn't be too hard to recreate in inventor itself.

(maybe if you set it up in illustrator as vectors in the first place it might have been better, the tracing just doesn't seem to connect all edges properly, let alone any errors that can occur with the export/importing.)

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 3 of 7
JDMather

First of all, it would have been much faster (and better) to simply create the logo in Inventor from scratch.

But since you already have it done -

First thing you need to do in AutoCAD is Explode the Block Reference and Delete the Hatch.

Notice that the Rectangle is actually a Spline and the same for the Circle.  This is more complex geometry definition than needed.  Move the logo with the "circle" to (0,0,0).

Logo.PNG

Save the file and close.

Then set the Option to Import in Inventor.

Edit the sketch and convert to Sketch Block (no dimensions needed).

Extrude

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
aromis
in reply to: JDMather

still having some problems, i get so far, how do you

Edit the sketch and convert to Sketch Block (no dimensions needed).

Message 5 of 7
JDMather

I recommend you start over and to it all in Inventor avoiding splines.

There is no reason to use complex geometry when simple geometry will get you the same thing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
aromis

okay since you dont seem to understand i will explain

specific designs,  such as logos from companys, paintings and other designs are done in photoshop pretty much strictly only done in photoshop, so at best you get it as a gif, tif, png or psd file

from there along with need and demand, many designers also use illustrator, and if the artwork is done correctly in photoshop it becomes effortless to move it from photoshop to illustrator  the advantages is the artwork often logo's can be vectorised and thus will never lose resolution as well as other advantages

as such 99% percent of the designs accumulating thousands of hours of work are in these formats, when not in these formats its a paint shop pro or a coral file format which again save to gif, tif, png, etc much like many other programs

and while i was able with some difficulty recreate it this is one of my most simplistic designs it is now diffrent, fortunitly i have not spent money on anything yet so i can move the inventor version bacwards into illustrator and photoshop to new business cards etc, so yes recreating it this once has worked but it has lost some of its asethic prettyness, but i can live with it

but this does not help me out with the many other designs that i can not recreate from scratch in inventor, for example i have one design took a week to get 1 - fifth to redo in inventor what originally took me 3 hours to do in illustrator, see the logic here

now this design i have to make a mold for, so i need to make it into a functional 3d part that i can use in inventor to make a simple 2d mould,

and then there is times i want to add a partern or logo, which is equally complex to a part made in inventor for brand identity

so redoing everything is not an option, okay it is an option but its an insane option along the lines of someone saying "i have a problem on my windows pc"  and someone responding "go buy a mac"

the companys who hire me on the occasions and cover my bills keep me up to date on creative suite but not in autodesk packages but i do have access

mudbox, maya  but only 2012, as the co worker who was trained in using these has been laid off so i will get access to those programs and probably one or two more in that suite, but im not trainned in these so if one of these programs may solve the problem, then maybe its time i get trainned in it, but advice on which one would help

Message 7 of 7
icbneumon

Bump. I'm in the same boat.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report