Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PETITION: Add CANCEL or ESC Command

70 REPLIES 70
Message 1 of 71
dick_upton
1792 Views, 70 Replies

PETITION: Add CANCEL or ESC Command

It's 2012. It's HIGH TIME, Autodesk!! Stop giving us the runaround, feature request form links, the stonewalling. Stop giving us new buttons for the same old features. Listen to your users and stop putting up barricades.

Give us a CANCEL COMMAND or ESCAPE key functionality. A vast host of experienced Inventor users and gurus have begged, pleaded, cajoled for lo these many years. Enough is enough.

If you are a user and agree, please reply that you agree.

Autodesk, in case you haven't been reading these forums, here's a short list of threads throughout the years. The requesters reads like a who's who of Inventor users, mentors, and distinguished contributors. FOR 10 YEARS now:

Starting with:

Leo Laimer, Ed Rassmusen, Peer Hoffmann, 2002: http://tinyurl.com/7bm5ysg

If you are a user and agree, please reply that you agree.

70 REPLIES 70
Message 41 of 71

Back in 2006, a full 6 years and 6 releases ago, several well-known contributors to the Inventor community opined (that's for you mrattray) that a Cancel Command was a necessary feature.

The exclaimed they would keep on wishing and keep on voting for it in the AUGI lists.

Autodesk, it's time to answer, after twelve (12) years, your faithful users base's requests.

Patrick Berry

Lon Neufeld

ncch

Curtis_Waguespack

hallstevenson

brian.cranston

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/An-OLD-wishlist-item-that-I-d-like-to-reitterate/td-...

http://tinyurl.com/6owxtfg

I agree that Inventor needs a Cancel Command.

If you agree, please reply.

Message 42 of 71
dick_upton
in reply to: dick_upton

We can all ignore a petition to improve a product, muttering that "It'll never happen anyway, so why bother". Or we can continue to suffer.

Just today, in 2012, while using 2012 (aka VERSION 16)  some recent users of Inventor had a discussion not unlike those that Inventor users had while using VERSION 1 - 12 years ago:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Thank-you-AutoDesk/td-p/3443299

If you think it's high time Autodesk clean up this mess and give us a Cancel Command, reply that you agree!

Message 43 of 71
dick_upton

Incredibly, three years ago, when Inventor 2011 was being prepared for rollout to beta testing, it was confirmed by the late great Dennis Jeffrey that a Cancel Command requested on 9/22/2009 by one Eddy Ventura and was approved.

So AUTODESK, what say ye?? If a feature is approved in 2009, when do we expect to see it?

Here's the thread:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/killing-a-command-or-process/m-p/2562714/highlight/t...

Those involved in the discussion were:

Scott Swen

mcgyver

Dennis Jeffrey

msklein

Albert Allen

JDMather

Patrick Berry

If you would like to add your name to the dozens of luminaries and key figures tied to the development of Autodesk Inventor these last twelve years that have been recommending the addition of a Cancel Command feature, please do so by replying that you agree we need a Cancel Command.

I agree.

Message 44 of 71
dick_upton

In 2005, 7 YEARS and 7 RELEASES AGO, mount_mordor and John-IV8SP1 lamented the omission of the Cancel Command feature in Autodesk Inventor.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Abort-Current-Operation/m-p/1459005/highlight/true#M...

7 YEARS AGO.

If you agree that Inventor needs a Cancel Command, reply in agreement.

Message 45 of 71
ampster401

somehow this reminds me of Dr. Otto Descus and Simpleton Modeler...

http://www.mcadforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11272&p=78206

Carry On!

Message 46 of 71
dick_upton

I believe it is not malicious or deliberate to ignore their customer base when there is a problem, it's a matter of allocating resources and addressing marketing concerns. Marketing has the top managers' ears that hold the purse strings, not the user base.

That's why Inventor keeps gettting steered toward fancy useless goodies and doodads and constantly diddling with the interface and cloud collaborating and other buzzward oriented stuff, instead of focusing on long-term basic problems that constantly fester and resurface year after year after year.

It's simply a fundamental effect that the company is driven by market share and dividends. Without that, no margin. Marketing could care not one iota less about users like you and me who suffer from unaddressed chronic long-term poor decisionmaking.

That's why we need to all sign this petition and say "I'M MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANYMORE" come on, who's with me?

Message 47 of 71
RyanBotha

I agree. The moment you hit 'Ok' to complete the Loft/Sweep/Fillet, you're almost sure you're in for 20 minutes. It's only then you realise you've left something out of your sketch....

Count me in.

Message 48 of 71
dick_upton

As you can see, Ryan, you are not alone. This has been a common theme now for going on 12 years and 16 releases. Why Autodesk puts this at such a low priority is a mystery to me.

Message 49 of 71
RyanBotha

Yeah, agreed. Been using Inv since V4. Been something I've suggested myself too. Glad to get 1 voice behind this. Good work.

Message 50 of 71
dick_upton
in reply to: RyanBotha

The best we've gotten so far is this:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Frame-Length-Bug-not-fixed-in-2011-SP2/m-p/3467448#M...

Thanks Mr. Van Derdonk for being probably the only Autodesk employee to be publicly straightforward on the issue! The first step toward solving a difficult problem is admitting when it is not easy to resolve! I believe in Autodesk.

If you agree that this issue needs to be resolved, reply here that you agree!

Message 51 of 71
dick_upton

So far, after 17 threads dedicated to the problem, and dozens of others that speak indirectly of the problem, after 12 years of asking for the Cancel Command feature, the program still lacks the ability to interrupt a calculation without data loss.

So far, over 50 users have either signed requested this feature, participated in discussion, or signed this petition.

Autodesk, WE THE USERS ask you, after 17 releases of a program, and 12 years, to take another look:

CelticDesignServices

Albert Allen 

Patrick Berry

Lon Neufeld

Curtis_Waguespack

WalkerRA

kpanek

John-IV8Sp1

Leo Laimer

Ed Rassmusen

Peer Hoffmann

Donovan Cox

Sean Dotson

Troy Grose

hallstevenson

rimo625

R. Corriveau

mrattray

Ryan.Martinez

Teun

Ham

Brian Cranston

Johnson Shiue of Autodesk

JDMather

WDannels

Donovan Cox

pkquat

dloganbill

mrattray

Gary Cross

JDMather

albender

martiste

MarcoA

Michael Puschner

PhilPDX

ebuckner

shekarsub of Autodesk

Robert Davis

Blair Stunder

Ray Dyson

Mike Maenpaa

Kendred Cooper

jwidell

Duncan Anderson

buffs_star

ozitag

Richard Hinterholler

jeanchile

ncch

dick_upton

Message 52 of 71
-Aaron-

You may add my name to that list...

-Aaron-
Formerly ASI_Aaron
i7-6700k
ASUS Z170-AR
Gigabyte GTX 970
16gb RAM
512gb Samsung 950 Pro
Message 53 of 71
dick_upton
in reply to: -Aaron-

Update: removed a duplicate name . . .

Message 54 of 71
richiesuk

pls put my name in the list,

thanks

Richard

Message 55 of 71
34mark713

You can add me to the list also....

Message 56 of 71
mrattray
in reply to: 34mark713

You have myself and JDMather on there twice.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 57 of 71
dick_upton
in reply to: mrattray

Noted, but for whatever reason, it seems I am no longer able to edit the post . . .

Message 58 of 71
QuasiMojo

count me in.  it'd be bettern than the four-step solution save file, execute command, launch task manager, kill inventor.exe

Message 59 of 71
dick_upton
in reply to: QuasiMojo

From one Larry Niven fan to another, cheers!!

Message 60 of 71
danzco

I would also like to see this feature.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums