Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personal Preferences do not save

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
biross
3300 Views, 23 Replies

Personal Preferences do not save

Hi, I've had a quick search, but didn't turn any thing up.

One of my users has modified the application options, (switched of grid lines, and minor grid lines), applied them, and worked on his project. When he exits Inventor, and re-starts it, the application options go back to basic default, (i.e. Grid and minor grid lines appear). I've checked the Read/Write permissions of The Program files folder, the program files x86 folder, and the path in his my documents folder, and all are OK.

I exported the application options, after tweaking them, and if I import that exported file, everything does as we expect, i.e. grid and minor grid lines are switched off.

Am I missing something? or where does the settings for application options be saved?
23 REPLIES 23
Message 21 of 24
NathanLos
in reply to: stephens2014

You are correct that clicking Apply or OK in the Options dialog will immediately save settings to the registry. Inventor also saves them as the process is exiting in case the settings have been changed programmatically without using the dialog.

With this in mind, it should be possible to watch the settings change in real-time using the registry editor. Options are saved throughout the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion18.0\System\Preferences key. An easy one to watch is the Application Font value inside the Display sub-key. What happens if you try the following:

1) Look at the current Application Font value in regedit.

2) On the General tab of Inventor's Options dialog, change the Application Font to something distinctive.

3) Click Apply.

4) Back in regedit, press F5 to refresh and confirm that the new font name is being saved to the registry.

If the font name fails to update, it would indicate a permissions issue like Dennis suggested. On the other hand, if the setting updates correctly (but is later forgotten), there might be a loading issue where one source of the settings is overriding another source. This could occur if conflicting settings are being loaded from an XML file.

Nathan Los
Principal Engineer
DLS-Mechanical Design
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 22 of 24
blair
in reply to: NathanLos

Possibly a bad User Profile in Windows. Try creating a new user with Admin Privileges and run Inventor to see if the problem persists.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 23 of 24
stephens2014

Thanks.

I actually got some help from our software distributor tech support and we ended up re-installing Inventor.

But just for kicks I followed your instructions and verifed that the registry is updating as it should.

I will use that method in the future if I come across similar situations.  Thanks again.

Steve

Message 24 of 24
graeme.robinson

Ive had this issue a couple of times....

User has permissions  to edit registry..

Ive got round it by removing all registry for inventor in current user and local machine.

Then for first time fire up of Inventor run as administrator...hey presto fixed for me....

I have came across instances where this doesnt work as well and had to re-create windowsa user profile

Cheers

G

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report