Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance Issues/System Specs??

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
ccomito.rsi
522 Views, 8 Replies

Performance Issues/System Specs??

Hi all,

I've been having some major performance issues running Autodesk 2014 products. I primarily run Inventor (with service packs) but also run Showcase, Autocad, and a few others. I'm wondering if my system is under spec'd for what I do. Here is a rundown of my system. Maybe someone can shed some light or recommend a change??

Dell Precision WorkStation T7500

12 GB RAM

Windows 7 64 bit

Intel Xeon CPU X5650 @ 2.67GHz (6 core)

Dual ATI Firepro V5800 - 6910 MB total available memory

500GB HD

Any input is appriciated.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
mcgyvr
in reply to: ccomito.rsi

Clearly define "major performance issues"?

What are your settings in tools..application options..hardware tab?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 9
ccomito.rsi
in reply to: mcgyvr

mcgyvr,

My hardware settings are to performance. The "Software graphics" is unchecked.

Major issues are little to no responsiveness when manipulating assemblies. Inventor will hang for sometimes more than 15 minutes to execute a constraint. It doens't seem to matter if its a large or small assembly, I get the same results. I don't really know how else to explain it but it's not right that's for sure. This has been a steadily increasing performance issue. At this point I'm not even sure if its Autodesk related but that's what I work on all day. 

That being said, I assumed my workstation but on the robust side of the system requirements and want to at least get that verified. Maybe I need more RAM, better graphics card, faster HD?? I don't know. I thought it was worth asking the community though.

Thanks,

Message 4 of 9
mcgyvr

@ccomito.rsi wrote:

mcgyvr,

My hardware settings are to performance. The "Software graphics" is unchecked.

Major issues are little to no responsiveness when manipulating assemblies. Inventor will hang for sometimes more than 15 minutes to execute a constraint. It doens't seem to matter if its a large or small assembly, I get the same results. I don't really know how else to explain it but it's not right that's for sure. This has been a steadily increasing performance issue. At this point I'm not even sure if its Autodesk related but that's what I work on all day. 

That being said, I assumed my workstation but on the robust side of the system requirements and want to at least get that verified. Maybe I need more RAM, better graphics card, faster HD?? I don't know. I thought it was worth asking the community though.

Thanks,

No a 15 minute time wait for constraints even on large assemblies is NOT right.. Even on my "large" assemblies constraints take no more than a few seconds to apply/complete. 

Have you tried to log into your machine under a different admin profile and see if there is any change... 

Any imported parts?

Any adaptivity?

Have you tried unchecking (if checked) tools..application options..assembly tab..   enable relationship redundancy analysis/enable relationship failure analysis. (I run with both unchecked)

Have you tried working locally if working from a network location?

Your system while the CPU is fairly slow now a days "shouldn't" have serious issues like 15 minute wait times.. 

Have you tried reinstalling Inventor? follow Autodesks clean uninstall procedure first and turn off AV/UAC,etc...when reinstalling.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 9
blair
in reply to: mcgyvr

Use the "Bad Constraints" tool to check for bad constraints. Having parts with lots of small details will bring Inventor to it's knees. The same with Adaptivity, clear Adaptivity as soon as possible in the design stage. Check that your Project File encompasses all the paths required for your IAM. Make sure you are current on all SP's and Updates for your product. Follow mcgyver's solutions as well. Something is wrong.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 9
4donwan4

Its hard to say or point to the software for fault here. You could have bad parts in the assembly (translated parts as for Step, Sat). Inventors configuration could be suspect causing delays. You could have a non certified graphics card. Try a new project file with all paths defines locally. If your working off the network pull a copy local and test. Translated files can go though the construction environment to see if there are problems. I would just ask you to verify that the system meets the  need here.

Certification site

Inventor Hardware Certification

System Requirements for Inventor

Inventor System Requirements

Regards,

Don

Message 7 of 9
dggwhite

What worked for me in IV2014 was to restart, disable anti virus, open each program, open a file move things around, then close the program and restart the comptuer. After that all my large assemblies worked better.

Hope this helps

-d

Message 8 of 9
blair
in reply to: dggwhite

If you add the Inventor files to your Anti-Virus software's "White Page" it will exclude them *.IPT, *.IAM, *.IDW and *.IPN from being scanned when you select and use them.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi! The behavior does not sound right to me. Could you try turning all Inventor Add-Ins off and see if there is any improvement?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report