Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDM question

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
T_Graziani
328 Views, 9 Replies

PDM question

As we struggle with trying to implement Vault, we've begun considering 3rd party PDM software. I was wondering if anyone here was using this type of software, and if so what their experience had been like. I'm particularly interested in how different companies approach revision control.

Thanks,
Tony
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
rllthomas
in reply to: T_Graziani

LOL

Yeah, if you have the concept of revision control you probably would be looking past the vault.

My opinion is you need to find a product that will allow you to seperate WIP from released product. Things in WIP can be flushed before they are released. Once something is released ideally you can't replace it but due to things like migration issues this isn't practical. You probably want to prevent users from replacing released product and make that an admin function.

Products to look at might be Smarteam, Adept, Cyco, Eigner, Matrix One... lots of others but nothing else comes to mind that is fairly neutral. I would be very cautious of Agile myself.

I would also make sure and talk to your resellers Autodesk Rep. and let him know what you are trying to do. For those willing to pay Autodesk may have more to offer.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

What types of files do you need to manage. Are you using other products that are non Autodesk based? You may want to look at a product by the name of ProductCenter. http://www.softech.com/_html/products/productcenter/ There are reasonably priced and highly competant in Product Definition as well as all of the necessary PDM like functions i.e. BOM Management, Rev Control, Workflow Managememt. "rllthomas" wrote in message news:1584854.1084375092241.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1... > LOL > > Yeah, if you have the concept of revision control you probably would be looking past the vault. > > My opinion is you need to find a product that will allow you to seperate WIP from released product. Things in WIP can be flushed before they are released. Once something is released ideally you can't replace it but due to things like migration issues this isn't practical. You probably want to prevent users from replacing released product and make that an admin function. > > Products to look at might be Smarteam, Adept, Cyco, Eigner, Matrix One... lots of others but nothing else comes to mind that is fairly neutral. I would be very cautious of Agile myself. > > I would also make sure and talk to your resellers Autodesk Rep. and let him know what you are trying to do. For those willing to pay Autodesk may have more to offer.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

We have been down this road, check some previous posts on "paperless office"
We are just about to impliment the vault also, any tips?

but here is a comp who sells the pdm programs.

Concurrent Systems Inc. Ltd
The Pavillion
Newbury Business Park
London Road
NEWBURY
Berks, RG14 2PZ
Website www.csi-europe.com
Message 5 of 10
pkquat

How is revision control handled for assemblies, no less linked, derived, and adaptive parts in Vault or any other program?

Assemblies might not be too bad, but from the little I have seen, linked, derived, and adaptive parts appear to become a headache. I would hope this is NOT the case.

Pete
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

This is a DDM specifically for inventor
Message 7 of 10
rllthomas

My personal opinion, never release a product with adaptive components.

The other things that can have a big impact is how you define a revision. If a revise a part in an assembly do I up the rev in the assembly? We don't here, we did at other places I've worked at. It somewhat depends on your ability to determine what a product was based on its serial number.
Message 8 of 10
pkquat

I can see "adaptive" being bad. I did not like how IV manages it so I don't use it. Any thoughts on SS linked or derived parts.

A few years ago, I know some folks that used other SoftWare found some PDM systems didn't handle linked spreadsheets very well. That narrowed their choices.

ProE's system is the only PDM system I have seen work well with their software and linked, derived, and adaptive style parts. Interface and other issues not withstanding

Pete
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

Another very good one that you probably have never heard of is Compass (German software) This out of the box links with IV, Acad/M (correctly, not fudged), SE, SW, Pro/E and Catia, so is the only real solution for mixed CAD environments. It is based on Full Sequel Server (included in the price, full training required for administration and installation) in a similar way to the Vault and even supports multi-site vaults with replication and a web client. http://www.compass-systems.de/start.php?Language=ENGLISH Big seller in DACH region, and just starting here in the UK. John Bilton
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

Conisio http://www.conisio.com/en/index.html works very well with Inventor,dwg,office ,..................

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report