Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDF incorporated into a drawing?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
418 Views, 3 Replies

PDF incorporated into a drawing?

I am wondering if there is a way if incorporating parts of PDF files into a drawing. I am creating a cable assembly and when I create a drawing for the cable it would be nice to incorporate part of the connector vendor information (which is downloadable in PDF format) into the drawing. The connector vendors provide you with connector models that are so simplified, things like how strain relief's work are mot modeled. The only way of communicating how it works is thru their PDF files. The best way I can see is if my cable asm and BOM are on sheet 1 and if there is a way, to put the PDF files on sheet 2.

Thanks in advance

Randall

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
coreyparks
in reply to: Anonymous

Goto the manage tab on the panel bar and select insert object.  It will allow you to choose a PDF object and you can decide if you want it linked externally or embedded inside the IDW.  You can also pick if the full PDF displays or only an icon that you can click on to open it.  I haven't printed anything like this though so I am not certain what kind of quality you may get.

Please mark this response "Accept as solution" if it answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: coreyparks

I am still having difficulties. I went to my 50 page pdf and extracted the one page that I needed. I then did a crop page and cropped 80% of the pdf so that left me with a small portion of a PDF file. I went to the insert object clicked on inserting a Adobe Acrobat file, browsed to the file, and when I go to insert it, I get a error diag box that just states "Cannot insert object" with no other explanation. I had such high hopes too. I must be doing something wrong.

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: coreyparks

I finally got it to work. I don't know what I did differently but it now works. I had to create a bit map file because the pdf file was really rough and unreadable. The lines on the bit map were okay but I also had to delete the text from the bit map because it was unreadable. I then reinserted the text with Inventor and it came out pretty good. Thanks for the solution.

Randall

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report