Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCB Data & Rendering Problems.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
guitarsoulja
1611 Views, 2 Replies

PCB Data & Rendering Problems.

I'd like some assistance or guidance on how to convert a PCB that was designed using Eagle PCB, into Inventor and eventually get a 3D rendering of it.  I have at my disposal Eagle PCB, AutoCAD Electrical and I'm using Inventor 2011. I've read the documentation on Inventor's IDF Translator but when I try and import the *.brd files, I get an error due to a missing *.lib file. Eagle's library file is not *.lib, it's a *.lbr file so that's the problem. Long story short, I'm wondering if I can use AutoCAD Electrical as an intermediary to bring the PCB's into Inventor for a 3D rendering. Any help or reference to documentation would be very very appreciated. The forum wont let me attach the Eagle files for reference but I can send them if necessary. Thanks to all!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
sam_m
in reply to: guitarsoulja

Check your pcb software's output as a idf out should generate 2 files - the .brd and and .lib. If your .lib is being created as a .lbr then just rename it to a .lib and try that.  To upload the files here try zipping the brd and lib/lbr together and then attaching - given 2mins spare someone can have a quick look to see if they're suitable and how much work will need to be done.

the idf data gives the position and size of the components on the pcb - personally find it only really works (with our pcb software) for simpler rectangular parts - any chips or round components need modelling individually and then replacing in the assembly.  For the tracks and any silkscreen overlay - export them as dxf/dwg files for use in AutoCAD - to then export as images to decal onto the pcb part.

We have problems that our Orcad data for some components are so old that a lot of the height data is missing or wrong, so I find i need to go thought the lib file and check all the component data first.  Not a fun task...  It's made a LOT easier by grouping all components together tho - there's some setting in the idf output that combines all components of the same footprint so there is far less data to go through (ie all 0603 resistors use the same data/model instead of a separate library entry for each value 0603 resistor).

as for the workflow - I've explained what I do in this post on Sean's forum:

http://www.mcadforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11314 

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 3 of 3
mcgyvr
in reply to: sam_m

I just export the board as a dxf from the PCB software then bring it into Inventor and extrude. You won't get the traces anyways but you get the holes and then can constrain any parts to that pcb in Inventor.

I didn't think idf brings the traces in either.. Just the board outline/holes/outline models of the components.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report