Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Patterning around oval

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
greetinginventor
1074 Views, 5 Replies

Patterning around oval

Hi,

I can't understand how to pattern a point around an oval!

If it is a feature, I can use sweep around the oval being a path. If I'm in a 2D sketch, then I can't use sweep and path. If I use, say, circular patterning, it won't give the desired result for my path is an oval!

What is the solution please?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mpatchus
in reply to: greetinginventor

It would help to know what you are trying to accomplish. Maybe an example part with the feature you are trying to recreate.

You can create a rectangular pattern of a feature along a curved edge as shown here.

Oval Pattern.JPG

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 3 of 6
greetinginventor
in reply to: mpatchus

Well, what I want to do is (perhaps) very simple, only I don't know the right way of it.

I want to pattern a vertical line around an oval, every 50mm, on a 2D sketch.

As I failed to pattern the line, I decided to find out how to put a point on an oval path in a 2D sketch, every 50mm, then draw a perpendicular line on each point. Well not that accurate solution but at least to finish what I need!

The best is to know how to command Inventor to pattern perpendicular-to-oval lines, around the oval path, every Xmm (steps).

Please help me out of problem 🙂

Message 4 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: greetinginventor

Attach your ipt file here.

In general - (almost) never pattern sketch entities.
Pattern solid features instead.

Information on curve-driven pattern pg 24

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2006/MA13-3%20Mather.pdf

What is the logic behind your design intent to pattern lines around an oval?

I don't understand this?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
greetinginventor
in reply to: JDMather

I attached the ipt.

It is over a technique I'm trying to learn now for months, and every time failed!

I need to model the exterior body as a surface, then break it to ribs, then cnc machine the ribs, next fill inside with styrofoam and finally create a fiberglass mold out of it.

I can model the surfaces I need, but I'm not good in turning them to to ribs that I then machine and assemble to have something close to the surface.

As you can see in the part, the vertical ribs are "centerwise", I think if they were vertical to the bottom oval shape, the result could be more accurate.

Well, may be I'm going totally the wrong way.

Will be very thankful if you guide me out of it, it is half a year unsolved question!

Message 6 of 6

Question is closed, thank you everybody!

The answer (the needed technique) is in the vacuum tutorial by JDMather. I passed it months ago but strange, it takes time that the brain learns to compose a solution from already learned lessons.

Thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report