Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pattern

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
Zac-C
633 Views, 17 Replies

pattern

From the IV2013 model i`ve attached can i do the following

1. Extrusion 2   -   can i just make 1 extrude (instead of 6 )

2. Can i then do 1 Split and 1 Loft Cut to Extrusion 2

3. Pattern/mirror the above

cause i have to do the Loft Cut individually to each one of the extrudes in Extrusion 2.I tried new solid,mirror and pattern but neither worked.Is there a time saving way or simpler way to achieve

Thanks IJC

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
trumpy81
in reply to: Zac-C

I looked at your model and I'm not sure of the best way to advise you as I don't know what your modelling intent is or what parameters you have to work with. Like with most things, there is more than one way to achieve a common goal.

I would advise that you use the 'draft' command instead of loft to add the angle to the fins. This will reduce the number of operations needed as you are able to 'draft' all the fins in one go. You will need to do that four times, but that is a lot less than the individual lofts you are curently using.

You could also use a revolve cut to add the angles in one go, but it really depends on the design intent here.

You should only use the mirror command when you have all the details to be mirrored, complete. This can save a little time as you only have to work on one side of the part.

I assume, that this is an electric motor casing, and in the real world this part would be cast, yes?

If so, try to envisage the finished cast part. Sometimes it is easier to draw the entire outline in one go rather than breaking it up into smaller pieces. You can then use the various tools that Inventor offers, to shape the finer details, like the angled ends of the fins for example.

And since this would be a cast part, don't forget that any details, like the fins, must be slightly angled so that the mold pattern can be removed from the mold easily. It is best to include these types of details right from the beginning.

How you draw it depends a lot on the actual dimensions you have to work with. If you have complete flexibility in those dimesions then there are any number of ways to model it. If you are modelling an existing piece, then you are a little more constrained (IE: your dimensions and other details are already set).

Good luck with your model and if you have any other questions just holler!

Regards
Andy M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013 Pro SP1.1, Win7 Pro - 64Bit - SP1, Intel i7 960 @ 3.333 GHz
Asus X58 Sabertooth, Corsair 12Gig DDR3, AMD Radeon HD6970, Samsung 830 Series 256G SSD, 2x 3TB Seagate, 2x 2TB Hitachi,
1x 1TB Samsung, 4 x 2TB Seagate in Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, Dual Asus VE278Q Monitors
Message 3 of 18
Zac-C
in reply to: trumpy81

Hi Andy

Thank you for the advice.Some good points.

I did try the revolve cut but the result was not uniformed.Top of the fins were longer in the middle then the outsides.I used the Loft as it gave me a uniformed angle on all/each fin.I though there might be a way i could do it in less steps.

Is there a way the Draft tool could achieve what the Loft achieved?

Thanks again for your help

IJC

Message 4 of 18
trumpy81

Yes, the draft tool will achieve exactly what the loft tool did. It can be a little tricky when selecting the correct face to draft but otherwise it will give the same results.

The curved cut in the revolve is the result of the differing protusion of each fin as it revolves around the center axis. If all the fins were the same length/width when you cut them using revolve, then you would get a uniform angle.

Try making the fins equidistant, then revolve cut the angled ends then either extrude cut the fins to width or do another revolve cut with an offset axis and larger diameter.

Again, it depends on your design intent. Will this part be manufactured at all, or is this just a model?

Regards
Andy M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013 Pro SP1.1, Win7 Pro - 64Bit - SP1, Intel i7 960 @ 3.333 GHz
Asus X58 Sabertooth, Corsair 12Gig DDR3, AMD Radeon HD6970, Samsung 830 Series 256G SSD, 2x 3TB Seagate, 2x 2TB Hitachi,
1x 1TB Samsung, 4 x 2TB Seagate in Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, Dual Asus VE278Q Monitors
Message 5 of 18
Zac-C

It will be a model.How can the draft tool achieve the same result as the Loft but all in 1 go

Thanks

IJC

Message 6 of 18
Zac-C

Any chance of an example on how to use the Draft Tool to get the same result as the Loft.I tried with the Draft tool but i could not get the same result.

Same for the revolve cut:Try making the fins equidistant, then revolve cut the angled ends then either extrude cut the fins to width or do another revolve cut with an offset axis and larger diameter.Any chance of an example

Would be useful to me if i could see both of these examples and i could use these for future modelling

Thanks

IJC

Message 7 of 18
trumpy81

@ijc wrote:

Any chance of an example on how to use the Draft Tool to get the same result as the Loft.I tried with the Draft tool but i could not get the same result.

Same for the revolve cut:Try making the fins equidistant, then revolve cut the angled ends then either extrude cut the fins to width or do another revolve cut with an offset axis and larger diameter.Any chance of an example

Would be useful to me if i could see both of these examples and i could use these for future modelling

Thanks

IJC

I have done a sample part for you based on what I remember of your part. Dimensions etc... should probably be ignored. I did find that the revolve cut gave the same results that you showed, I don't know why that is?

You'll see that I added fins on the end so that I could show the draft command in action. I hope this helps.

Regards
Andy M
Message 8 of 18
Zac-C

Thanks Andy

It looks like the Loft done individually is the way to get the Fins all equal.I thought there might be a way to do this but with a fewer steps

Thanks

IJC

Message 9 of 18
trumpy81

Did you not see the fins on the end using draft?

They are all level.

Regards
Andy M
Message 10 of 18
Zac-C

Yes i did.Thanks.I was able to achieve that but the fins are going around the case in which i could not reproduce the same result with Draft tool

I was hoping for the same affect though on the fins running along the case (see my attached file on the 1st post) in which for me to get the desired shape i had to do each fin individually by using the Loft cut

Thanks

IJC .

Message 11 of 18
trumpy81

Fair enough, good luck with your part.

Regards
Andy M
Message 12 of 18
Zac-C

Thanks Andy

Message 13 of 18
Zac-C

I thought i would throw this question out there 1 more time to see if anyone does have a solution for taking less steps (6 loft cuts) to make the fins.The final result is what i wanted so possibly it can only be done this way

IJC

Message 14 of 18
trumpy81

If you were to actually create this part in the real world, how would you go about creating it, IE: what manufacturing techniques would you employ?

Regards
Andy M
Message 15 of 18
Zac-C

Hi Trumpy81

Only going to use for a presentation.Looking for the quickest way of modelling.Instead of using 6 Lofts i was hoping 1 Loft and maybe a pattern feature.Just looking at my model it is quite possible that to get the desired shape i actually need to perform the 6 Lofts.I will model other pumps in the future so looking ffor quickest technique

Thanks again

IJC

Message 16 of 18
trumpy81

If you are going to present this, don't you think it should at least represent a manufacturable part?

The way you are modelling it at present would prove impossible to produce at a reasonable cost. That's why I suggested a revolve cut, the quickest method I can think of, to make the angled fins, and if you look carefully at the lofted fin ends, they pretty much follow the same profile as you get from the revolve cut. It is not as pronounced and the edges are a little more inline but otherwise it's the same effect.

Something else to consider, is the root of each fin where it joins the circular body of the part, this area, at present, could not be cut. It could be cast, but I would still advise using a fillet in that area for strength of the fins. If the part were to be cast, then again, you need to include what is called 'draft' to the fins to make the whole part removable from the mold.

If it were to be machined, then you have to consider the cutting tools that would be used.

You can spend a lot of time and effort modelling a part just the way you want it, but if you don't make the part manufacturable then what is the point of all your time and effort?

If you are going to present this model to anyone, you should at least consider these facts and include them in your model. I'm sure I would not be the only one to recognise the deficencies of your current design.

Regards
Andy M
Message 17 of 18
Zac-C

This part is not going to be manufacturered,cast,cut  etc..etc...I have been asked to make a model of a machine which has this pump and they then will use it to show there machine ffor training purposes.I will add the fillet when i get to that stage.I am simply just trying to replicate a pump for demonstration not manufacturing.I was also using learning techniques as well so i tried to replicate the pump as accurate as i could with the least amount of steps

Thanks

IJC

Message 18 of 18
trumpy81

In that case, do you have access to this part, so that you can take measurements?

Regards
Andy M

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report