Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pattern feature slow

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anthony
554 Views, 7 Replies

Pattern feature slow

I am experiencing very slow functioning of the pattern command using Inventor 2013 SP1. My design involves creating a large hexagonal mesh that I am using the pattern command to create, having set the number of items and pattern distance the command freezes for about 30 minutes presumably while it computes the command then I have to close the program and start again due to it not responding. Has anyone else finding the pattern command slows / freezes when using a large number of items ? Thanks

Inventor 2013 SP1 64-bit OS

Intel Xeon CPU W3550 @ 3.07GHz

HPZ400

12GB RAM

Anthony Goodwin ~ Cad Manager/Senior Designer
Autodesk Inventor Professional 2013 SP2 64-Bit Edition
Windows 7 HP Z400, Intel Xeon W3550 3.07GHz
12.0GB RAM, ATI FirePro V4800 (FireGL)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
SBix26
in reply to: Anthony

How many items?  Can you post the file for others to try (roll the EOP marker to the top and save, then attach)?  That will help to determine whether it is your system, the file, or the software.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

I have found that it works better to create one cut extrusion in a feature and then pattern the whole feature, rather than to try and pattern the cut.

Try it out and liet me know if that helps.

Paul

Message 4 of 8
Anthony
in reply to: SBix26

Hi, my pattern has approximately 40 square shapes in one direction and about 25 in the other, not really a huge amount of items, unfortunately I cannot post any files due to company policy, I would greatly appreciate any tips on how to speed this process up, thanks again

Message 5 of 8
SBix26

1000 instances is a lot of surfaces, even if it is just a square shape.  Nevertheless, 30 minutes on the PC you described seems excessive.  Any way for you to try it without SP1?  Either uninstall the SP or try it on another computer that doesn't have the SP installed.

Message 6 of 8
Anthony
in reply to: SBix26

Hi, thanks I will try it when I have removed SP1 and hopefully this should speed thing up. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 8
dan_inv09

I usually get about 5 minutes for 30-40 "items".

If you can't use a texture to just have it look like there are a lot of holes an assembly pattern seems to be faster sometimes. Make a small part of the mesh, like one cell, and make an assembly and pattern it there.

But the best way is a texture, if it's something odd you could make a small portion - pattern just enough of it so that it doesn't take to long - and take a screen shot. I have been avoiding the new appearances so if you're on 2013, someone else will have to help you figure it out.

Message 8 of 8
Yijiang.Cai

Hi,

Based on the workflow you provided, I try the general case like rectangular pattern with extrusion cut included in R2013 SP1, and it does not take so much time you talked. Maybe it is related to the case you worked. If possible, please attach the dataset or send it to me @ river-yijiang.cai@autodesk.com for further investigation.

Thanks,
River Cai

Inventor Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Email: River-Yijiang.Cai@autodesk.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report