Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Passing down assembly features to part level

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
ben_walker5
2591 Views, 6 Replies

Passing down assembly features to part level

How do you save features added in an assembly to the part? For example, if I add a hole in an assembly, presently I cannot see it when I open the part. It seems like a very basic function, I'm not sure why it doesn't do it automatically.

Any help would be kindly appreciatated!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: ben_walker5

Assembly features are meant to be added at the assembly level.  This should be used in case you have the same part used in different assemblies that require different machining based on the assembly.

If you want the hole in the part, you need to edit the part and add the hole.

Message 3 of 7
japike

Check this out:

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/featuremanager/

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2022
Message 4 of 7
ben_walker5
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks for the reply. 

If this is the case, how are you supposed to add features in a certain location to match other parts in the assembly? Surely this is an advantage of 3D modelling?

Message 5 of 7
japike

Other, possibly better, solutions would be to use skeletal modeling, derived components, multi-body solids, etc. All very powerful techniques for sharing geometry between components.

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2022
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

You can edit the part in the assembly and project a hole from another part.

Message 7 of 7
rjezuit
in reply to: Anonymous

Make sure the part you want to put the hole in is not open in it's own window. Right click> edit. The non editable parts will grey out. Start a new sketch on the surface you want the hole. Project the feature you want to "match". Add the hole in that sketch. Close sketcher, extrude the hole and you are done. When you open the part , it is at the part level and can be edited as such. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report