Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parts with Decals always need to update?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
TomAllen
632 Views, 13 Replies

Parts with Decals always need to update?

We use decals on some of our parts, but every time someone opens a part or an assembly with one of these parts, it wants to be updated. This only happens with parts that have decals on them. We use Vault and the constant updating of these parts is a pain, considering these parts have not been changed...

the .bmp is in the project workspace and vaulted. The link shows as resolved... MS Paint is the default editor...so what needs to be updated? Is there any way to tell what it wants to update?

After checking it out and updating only the .ipt is modified the .bmp that resides in the 3rd Party folder is unchanged.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for any help.

IV 2010_Vault 2010
Windows XP Pro SP2
2.00 GB RAM
NVidia Quadro FX 4000SDI
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
dan_inv09
in reply to: TomAllen

Do you have the images linked?
Do you need to have the images linked?
Message 3 of 14
TomAllen

Thanks for responding.

Yes.

I did try breaking the link, but the decal disappears.

??
Message 4 of 14
dan_inv09

Did you "Make sure the document is writable before you break a link"?

I have never seen that dialog before, is that new for 2010? I always had to place the image again, and I would uncheck the "Link" box there.
Message 5 of 14
TomAllen

We've been using 2010 since this time last year, to be honest I dont remember how the feature was done in 2009. We started with 2008 and shortly thereafter went to 2009. We have been transitioning from Autocadd "slowly". There's alot of legacy data that's hard to separate from but were 95% Inventor now.

We have had bigger fish to fry but as we get more proficient, I want to get rid of some of these more specific issues.

That being said:

Yes, but to make sure I created a simple part with a decal feature to double check myself again.

I did get this warning. (see attached)
Message 6 of 14
TomAllen

To top it off, as soon as I clicked yes...BOOM! (crash)... I sent a report?

Re-launched and no decal?

The sketch and the border of the decal exist but no image..
Message 7 of 14
dan_inv09

Try placing it again but uncheck the link box when you select the image.
Message 8 of 14
TomAllen

My process has been-

Create sketch-
Insert Image and constrain-
Finish sketch-

Create Decal Feature
Pick surface-
Pick Image-
Done

"Links" exists at bottom of Edit Menu

?
Message 9 of 14
dan_inv09

> {quote:title=TomAllen wrote:}{quote}
> My process has been-
>
> Create sketch-
> Insert Image and constrain-
> Finish sketch-
>
> Create Decal Feature
> Pick surface-
> Pick Image-
> Done
>
> "Links" exists at bottom of Edit Menu
>
> ?

at the insert image step, when you are browsing for the image file, there should be a link checkbox.

as far as the bottom of the edit menu, I've got this crappy ribbon interface (that I've been struggling with - if Microsoft makes a mistake it is still a mistake, but we're going to be stuck with it in Inventor eventually anyway) so I can't even begin to know where that would be now
Message 10 of 14
TomAllen

We opted to stick with the classic UI until we got more up to speed.
We were just beginning to catch on and didn't want to start to learn the Ribbon too. Hindsight, it may have been better to learn it when we didn't know any better...I guess we'll see.

There is a "Link" checkbox as you described.
The result was an embedded image instead of a linked image.
I vaulted it, opened it up on another workstation.. No Update Required!

Looks like a fix.

I cant believe I overlooked that checkbox this long (I kind of feel like an idiot)

Details, Details, Details!

Thank you very much for your time.
Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

just a quick FYI:

understand that linked images give you the ability to update the BMP file and have you logo update in all of the linked parts. whereas embeded images would need to be manually updated.

Having said that I tend to embed just the same. The static ebmoss offers us the oportunity to update via revision control, which is how we want it.
Message 12 of 14
dan_inv09

Glad I could help.

Now your part file will probably get about the image file size bigger and you will have to place it again (and remember to uncheck the link box again) if you want to change the artwork (but those are small prices to pay for not having to update every time you open the part or an assembly with the part in it).
Message 13 of 14
TomAllen

Your initial question to this post is much clearer now.

Thanks again!

Tom Allen
Message 14 of 14
Maxim-CADman77
in reply to: dan_inv09

I glad breaking link is an acceptable wokaround for some people but our developers claim to need have link.

Thus what about initial question.

Why parts with decalled raster images always need updating?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report