Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parts List with Purchased Parts

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
dbcox
2165 Views, 10 Replies

Parts List with Purchased Parts

Hi everyone,

I have been using Inventor for years, but rarely have to create BOMs.  I have created a parts list that is made up of manufactured parts and purchased ones.  Some of the purchased parts are not from the content center (like rollers and bushings we will purchase from someone like McMaster).  I have set the vendor, PN, and description fields appropriately in the part's iProperties.  How do I tell Inventor it is a purchased part so that I can filter it for my parts list?

Thanks!

David

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Cadmanto
in reply to: dbcox

Hi David,

There is a couple of different ways I can think to accomplish this.  One would be to create your own property that labels these pars as purchased.  The other would be to under the "Project" tab in iproperties there is a vendor field.  You can fill that out then in both cases modify your parts list to add these columns.

Hope this helps.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 11
dbcox
in reply to: Cadmanto

Thanks for the info.  I was hopeing to tag parts that are not from the content center as purchased so that I could apply the built-in filters to single out purchased parts.  Is there any way to do this?

Message 4 of 11
jtylerbc

Click Bill of Materials in the assembly, set the BOM Structure to Purchased.

"Purchased Items" is then one of the available choices for the filter in the Parts List.  It works based of the BOM Structure setting.

Message 5 of 11
BLHDrafting

Tools/Document Settings/Bill Of Materials tab/Default BOM Structure.

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blhdrafting.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)
Message 6 of 11
Cadmanto
in reply to: jtylerbc

John,

I might be wrong, but isn't that method more of a way to filter out the purchased parts out of the parts list?

You are talking about this mthod right?  In the drawing you RC on the parts list and select, bom.PNG

Then selecting the individual component and select "Purchase"

bom2.PNG

I know if you have Vault this method is a pain, because the parts you want to make these changes to have to be checked out.  I have never used the purchase selection, but I have used the phantom and reference.  Those do act like filters, so that is what makes me suspect of how selecting purchase in this case accomplishes what the OP is looking to do.

Also if this is done in the assembly model as suggested that effects the entire BOM.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 7 of 11
mcgyvr
in reply to: BLHDrafting

@BLHDrafting wrote:

Tools/Document Settings/Bill Of Materials tab/Default BOM Structure.

Thats how I would do it.. (done with the purchased ipt open and not in the assembly)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 8 of 11
jtylerbc
in reply to: Cadmanto

@Cadmanto wrote:

I might be wrong, but isn't that method more of a way to filter out the purchased parts out of the parts list?

It works both ways - when you set the filter, there's a radio button that lets you pick whether you want to filter FOR purchased parts or filter OUT purchased parts.  I think filtering them out is the default option, but you can switch it.

And the ones who said to change the default setting in the part have the right idea.  Although both would get you the same result on this particular assembly drawing, my described method only fixes that one, where changing the default BOM setting fixes it forever on any list you use that part with.

Either way you do the same thing with the filter, it's just a difference of where you set the Purchased structure (in the assembly as an override, or in the part as a default).

Message 9 of 11
dbcox

Thanks guys!  Changing the BOM worked perfectly!

I wish there was a way to do that at the part level though, and not the BOM level.  That way it will carry over to other drawings.  Am I missing something, or does this need to be the same process for all drawings?

Thanks!

Message 10 of 11
jtylerbc

@dbcox wrote:

Thanks guys!  Changing the BOM worked perfectly!

I wish there was a way to do that at the part level though, and not the BOM level.  That way it will carry over to other drawings.  Am I missing something, or does this need to be the same process for all drawings?

Thanks!

See the suggestion BLHDrafting proposed - if you do that in the parts, it makes Purchased the default BOM setting for that part from then on.

Message 11 of 11
dbcox

I'll check that out.  Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report