Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

parts list numbering

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
JimSteinmeyer
3990 Views, 4 Replies

parts list numbering

When I created a parts list this morning the list started with item 2 and skipped item 8 as shown below.

PARTS LIST.JPG

why would it do that? I know I can renumber the list, but then when I expand the subassembly to show the subassembly parts, they stay numbered 10.1, 10.2 ect. even though the subassembly has become item 8 with the renumbering. If I expand the subassembly before renumbering, I loose the indented numbering format and simply get numbers 1 to 18. True I could manually renumber all the components, but what would be the reason the parts don't come into the parts list numbered sequencially to start with?

Jim

Inventor Premium 2013 SP1.1
Vault 2013- plain vanilla version
HP G71 notebook
celeron cpu w\ 4gb RAM and 64 bit system
Win 7 home premium

Ya, my boss has me running my personal machine at work.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hi JimSteinmeyer,

As for why some numbers were skipped, I suspect that when you created the assembly you placed some components into the assembly and then later removed them. Recall that the assembly BOM is a real time database of the components you place in the assembly, so the BOM numbering starts when you enable the BOM view or start the assembly file from the template. So most likely you removed the first and eighth items you originaly placed.

As for renumbering, I think if you right-click on the Parts List in the drawing and choose Bill of Materials, rather than choosing Edit Parts List (or double clicking the parts list to edit it) then you can use the Renumber button to renumber  the BOM as expected.

Note that sometimes you can leave the subassembly collapsed in the Parts List editor and use the parts list Renumber button, then use the Save Item overrides to BOM to save the new item numbers back to the assembly BOM, and this will set the subassembly item number to 10.1, 10.2, etc. But it depends on what you've done before as far as renumbering, and therefore might not update if you've already renumbered the subassembly items to the top level.

So it is generally more bullet proof to renumber in the BOM editor rather than the Parts List editor .

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 5

Thank you Curtis, that expllanes things.

Do you really mean that any time an assembly is created the parts list number is created from the start of making the assembly and the numbering is maintained even if items are reorganized or deleted? To me that is asking to create more work for the designer/ drafter every time. How many people know exactly what items will be in an assembly every time they make an assembly? I know I frequently change my design as it goes along and I see better/eiser methods of making the structure. this would just seem like a bad idea.

Jim

HP G71 notebook
Win 7 home premium

Message 4 of 5

@JimSteinmeyer wrote:

Do you really mean that any time an assembly is created the parts list number is created from the start of making the assembly and the numbering is maintained even if items are reorganized or deleted?

Hi JimSteinmeyer,

Well I always try to distinguish between Parts List and Bill of Materials in Inventor, because using the two terms interchangably or in an ambiguous manner can cause some confusion when talking about the specific tools.

But having said that, yes, your statement is correct, assuming that we understand that the item numbers are created in the BOM first and then read in to the parts list once it is placed on the drawing.

To see the numbering in action give it a try by creating a new assembly from a template, and placing 2 different parts. You'll notice that the enabled BOM view(s) in the assembly asigns the parts item numbers 1 & 2. If you then delete the 2nd part and place a 3rd, you'll see that the BOM keeps numbering in sequence. Delete them all and then add another part, and it will become item #4 even though it's now the only part in the assembly.

Whether this is a bad idea or not might be debatable, but this is how it works. So it's best to be aware of it and renumber as needed.

I typically sort the BOM by Part Number when I'm done with the design, so that it is easier to index, and therefore the item numbers need to be renumbered anyway. So it's never seemed like a major issue. But I can see where if you don't do that, it could cause problems.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 5

Curtis,

Yes I thi

nk we understand each other, and it will definately help to know that this is the way the BOM and parts list are created. I guess I see no advantage in retaining the number of parts I have inserted and deleated from the assembly but if you say there is I will have to take your word for it. To me it just seems liike one more item for me to forget to do and another task for me to sspend my time on that seems like an unnessaccary waste of time.

Thank you for your indulgance of my questions.

Jim

HP G71 notebook
Win 7 home premium

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report