Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parts List not Updating as it used too. As it Should.

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
WilliamMothershead
790 Views, 6 Replies

Parts List not Updating as it used too. As it Should.

Before:

I created and assembly with I-Logic to modify my assembly to surpress a part when it is one type but then un-surpress it when it is another. I put the model on a dwg and created a parts list so it would update when my model updates, after a save of course. Yesterday working great. Updating fine.

Now: Same assembly, Same dwg. It's F.U.B.A.R.ed. When I change my supression it give me this mile long error message.

Explanation;

1. My part is suppose to remove the top portion and adjust acordingly. Which it does. The rules are right. I'm using the Compoent.IsActive rule to surpress and remove it from the BOM.

2. It all goes to hell when i put it on a dwg. Both Assembly and dwg are open. (Remember i said it worked this way yesterday). I updated the Model surpress/unsurpress the part and then save. Yesterday it updated the BOM just fine. Today, Nope. When surpressed the part is still in Parts List, and vice versa. I do use Vault. Last night i logged it into Vault and this morning a checked it out (on a different PC) and iy doesn't work anymore. Now I can't get it back to where it was.

I don't use IAssemblies because the Part is Completly customizable, from a form. No two parts are the same, Every one has some form of customization.

My question is why isn't the Ilogic rule doing what it is suppose to anymore. And why, when i have the dwg open all "HELL" breaks loose?

Please Help.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Hi! There might be a dataset specific issue or a timing issue. LOD/Suppres and Unsuppress in assembly was designed as a memory management tool not supposed to change design intent. A suppressed component only means the document is not loaded in the memory. It does not mean it is removed from the BOM table. The iLogic IsActive statement is a shortcut overriding BOM quantity to match Suppress/Unsuppress status.

If I understand your intent correctly, Inventor would need multiple BOM tables. However, in Inventor, an assembly can only have one BOM table. When an assembly is in iLogic_LOD1, the BOM obeys LOD1. But, if you activate iLogic_LOD2, the BOM will obey LOD2. The drawing view referencing iLogic_LOD1 will have BOM showing LOD2.

The only feasible workflow I can think of is to save the assembly as different assemblies (one per iLogic_LOD). Then, iLogic_LOD2 will not affect iLogic_LOD1 BOM or vice versa.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 7
Mark_Wigan
in reply to: johnsonshiue

are you saying that the routine will not work at all now, whether on your own pc or the other machine?

does the code require resources (reference libraries) that may not be on the other pc?

is it possible that it now may not actually be code related problem...
ie- i have seen hassles with LOD, it would fail when switching between one or two states, but okay on toggle between various other states. maybe it is something like that? when you get it into a healthy state you may possibly be able to run it once again successfully?
best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Message 4 of 7

The issue is with the parts list not updating.

I'm running the code Componemt.IsActive. Which in a custom LOD is suppose to surpress the component and update the BOM from normal or Reference. The BOM is not updating at all. It's not changing the part to normal when i un supress it. Why?

Message 5 of 7

sorry as i can only try to add my thoughts, since i use other then iLogic... but if i could get your dataset, i would attempt to see what is happening by setting up a little trace / debug / watch sort of thing  on parts of the code that may be unable to achieve their task. i know yousaid the code was fine the day before, but you should be able to use a trace function to see the variables & observe the values they retrieve from your form, and whether they are successful or not.

i could be wrong but it seems like ilogic is not 100% setup for debug trace but i can see with a bit of searching that some people have used the next best thing. it is mentioned here:

http://adndevblog.typepad.com/manufacturing/2014/08/debug-ilogic.html

if that doesn't help then perhaps you could put together a little example of an assembly and attach your code etc and email it to Johnson S or aother ilogic guru if you have time?

best regards,
- Mark

Message 6 of 7

I never did get this to work as I think it should. When working on a drawing that is attached to an assembly, yopu should be able to make modifications to the assembly and have it auot updat ethe drawing. this works good if you dont have suppressions. what i ended having to do is not have the drawing open while making modifications to the assembly the save and close the assembly then open the drawing and the parts list will update as it should. but i must have closed the assembly for that to happen. This is an issue that Autodesk should work on. But the work around should work fine for now. it's just a minor inconvenience. But thank you to all who replied and tried to help.

Message 7 of 7

thanks for the update.

that is interesting to see the sequence of events you needed to go through.

probably i think it is partially due to the session caching particular kinds of information from when the drawings or assemblies are first opened.

in my case, i see that kind of challenge arise especially if using code that calls windows functions rather than inventor functions to carry out certain tasks.

best regards,
- Mark

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report