Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parts List - Grouping Items - One baloon call out value for different parts.

30 REPLIES 30
Message 1 of 31
Infoseeker
3086 Views, 30 Replies

Parts List - Grouping Items - One baloon call out value for different parts.

How to have two or more items having the same value in a particular column but being different parts

- merged and balooned with one number

- have the quantity column show the sum of the items.

Right now when I go to parts list, group settings, group by first key, pick common value, the balloons will still show different number although they will be grouped and sumed up in quantity column. And the item column will show 1,2,3 for each separate part instead 1 for all 3 with one common value. 

30 REPLIES 30
Message 21 of 31
LOONYLEN
in reply to: dan_inv09

I'm thinking just the one assembly per drawing, but there could be multiple I guess...

Why would you ask?

Senior Designer/Cad Administrator
Inventor 2012, w/SP2
Vault Collaboration 2012
Dell Precision T3500, Intel Xeon CPU
W3680 @3.33GHz, 16.0 GB of RAM
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro, 64 Bit Edition
Version 2009, w/SP1
Message 22 of 31
dan_inv09
in reply to: LOONYLEN

Well, I was just thinking that if there is only one is there really a need to do that? Do you need something else on the drawing for Assembly 385087-004 to say that the parts on the drawing go to Assembly 385087-004?

Anyway, looking at your picture - if you make the columns of your parts list a little smaller so the end lines up with the corner of your title block you could pin a General Table to that corner too.

Don't get to excited about any sort of table though, the implementation of all of them is not what you might expect - like if your 10 year old did programming and you said, "Hey Skip, could you whip up some code to put a table on my drawing?" and half an hour later he said, "Here you go. If you give me twenty bucks I could maybe fix it up a little, like I think I might be able to make column headers wrap like cells do, er somthin'."

What you need might be something like an style option for a indented bill. Why don't you run it up the IdeaStation?

Message 23 of 31
bruce.buck
in reply to: Infoseeker

Following up on this topic as we have a similar need in our organization. The main use is calling out fasteners. Each fastener length has a specific part number, however we don't want to actually specify the length (due to certification issues), just the size. We've created a custom iProperty that we can group off of, but it would be nice to have it only call out one item number. The workaround right now is to simply use the same length fastener throughout the assembly, but it would be nice for the drawing views to visually look correct as far as length is concerned.

3-1-2014 1-51-44 PM.jpg

Inventor 2015 SP1 Build 203 Update 3
Vault Professional 2015 Build 19.1.13.0 Update 1
AutoCAD 2015 SP2 J.210.0.1
NavisWorks Manage 2015 SP3 12.3.0.115750
PLM360
Message 24 of 31
josh
in reply to: Infoseeker

*BUMP*

Is there a solution to this yet?

from memory our old work around used to be hide all the ones of the same group and over ride the QTY.but that is fraught with danger for a whole lot of reasons..

any other suggestions?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Product design suite ultimate
Complete 3D Concepts
 photo Autodesk_Inventor_2015_Certified_Professional_Badge_zpsf8iygufo.gif
Message 25 of 31
LOONYLEN
in reply to: josh

Josh,

Which part of this thread do you need help with exactly?
There seems to be a few different issues in this thread.

Len
Senior Designer/Cad Administrator
Inventor 2012, w/SP2
Vault Collaboration 2012
Dell Precision T3500, Intel Xeon CPU
W3680 @3.33GHz, 16.0 GB of RAM
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro, 64 Bit Edition
Version 2009, w/SP1
Message 26 of 31
josh

as bruce buck has put, just get rid of the double item number. i have found a work around for my stuff in tube and pipe.

that is to edit the BOM and make the part numbers the same and then let it group by part numbers the way the program was intended to work. i also discovered this thred that shows how to convert the QTY to each in leiu of length for the QTY allowing me to then have inventor roll up the parts and count them. leaving only one item number per matching part number and the QTY to read as the total number of items in the assembly and all it's sub assemblies..

i know this will not be the answer for everyone, but it worked for me and i hope it helps others.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Complete 3D Concepts
Message 27 of 31
dan_inv09

Did anyone check IdeaStation for "Merge rows on more than just Part Number" (or however it might have ended up worded)?

I'm not going to go back right now and see if it was covered but does Substitution do anything for this?

Message 28 of 31
josh

i never did. i wasted enough time looking for a solution and i don't really know about the ideas station so didn't want to waste more time on that.. i would vote of it if found or whatever has to hapen there....

Complete 3D Concepts
Message 29 of 31
dan_inv09
in reply to: josh

It's just like here except instead of asking other users how to get Inventor to do something you are telling Autodesk what you want it to do.

When I tried it as you were typing in a subject line it worked like a search, so if someone already posted what you want you can go and vote for it. And if you put yours up people will vote for it and/or comment on it.

Message 30 of 31
josh

thanks i might have a look when i am procrastinating a bit later today....:D

Complete 3D Concepts
Message 31 of 31
akhidumm
in reply to: bruce.buck

Hi bruce, can you help me to describe more of your step to create grouping Item number?

I've similar problem.

I need different item number for each part in an assembly.

event I placed a part more than one time in assemby, every item should has different Item Number.

Only different item number, and add the item like your example item number 10, 11.

Thanks in advanced

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report