Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parts List Break

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
swimfast831
9872 Views, 17 Replies

Parts List Break

Large Assembly / Inventor 2008

I have a layout drawing, and I want to add a parts list, but I want to break it into 2 "columns" rather then a long one

how do I do that?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
johnsonshiue
in reply to: swimfast831

Hi! Edit the parts list -> find the Table Layout button at the top in the middle -> go to the bottom of the dialog and check "Enable Automatic Wrap" option and set the desirable layout parameters.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 18
mucip

Hi,

Well, I want to wrap tables in next sheet. Not im same sheet. Is this possible?

Regards,

Mucip

Message 4 of 18
msklein

JUST add another parts list then make all items not wanted shown as "visible "off as needed. I normally set off to the side a master parts list where I do all of my changes that I want to show in my parts lists. Then update others to match as required. Makes reordering much easier, along with other things. The parts list wrap just does not work the way I need it to work. I need to be able to set it's start location separately for each column when spliting or wraping.

Message 5 of 18
johnsonshiue
in reply to: mucip

Hi! I may not understand your requirement correctly. But, the PartsList wrapping behavior has nothing to do with which sheet it is on. The setting is per PartsList, not per Sheet. You should be able to do the same on any PartsList on any given sheet.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 18

I think the idea would be to have ONE parts list and put sections of it on different sheets. For example, Split a parts list into thirds. place the first third on sheet one, the second third on sheet two and the last third on sheet 3.

My question would be: If I place different parts lists on different sheets, are they linked? For example, if I expand the list to show all components as I just did, and the parts list shows as  9, 9.1, 9.8, 9.9, 9.4, 9.5, as they just did. If I remumber 9.8 to 9.2 and 9.9 to 9.3 in the first list, will they show with the corrected numbers in the later parts lists? If not our parts lists are not really parametric, are they?

Jim

Inventor Premium 2013 SP1.1
Vault 2013- plain vanilla version
HP G71 notebook
celeron cpu w\ 4gb RAM and 64 bit system
Win 7 home premium

Ya, my boss has me running my personal machine at work.
Message 7 of 18
dan_inv09
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Some people have parts lists that are to big for one sheet.

They do not need different wrapping behavior depending on what sheet it is on, or whatever you were thinking might have been meant. They need to wrap the parts list from one sheet to another sheet.

Let me see if this is a little clearer:

Lets say we have an assembly with 5000 parts, each parts list row is 1/8 of an inch tall, and we have several columns so the rows are about 22 inches long. Now our plotter can only print a 22 inch wide by 400 inch long drawing. Where do we put the other 2116 rows? Huh?!? Where would you like us to put them? (I think I know what you're thinking but there are rules on forums like this so let's just move on.)

No that was a little extreme, lets assume a 34 wide x 22 high sheet and an 8 inch column. Not considering the border or the title block, we could put 4 columns of 176 rows at 1/8" tall, that gives us an absolute maximum of 704 rows per sheet. With a title block and border we'll probably loose 26 rows or so (1/2" top and bottom and 2 1/4 for the title block sound about right? - The old generic one was 2 1/2 with 1" top and bottom but 150 rows is a nice round number to work with) so that gives us a practical number of 600. And that's with no views, okay, lets put all the views on other sheets, that'll be fine I guess, but NO ONE TOLD US WE HAD TO STOP WHEN THE ASSEMBLY GOT TO 600 PARTS!!!

Sorry about that, I'm yelling now so I'm going to stop.

Message 8 of 18
mucip
in reply to: dan_inv09

I understood that we will keep bagging Autodesk to split part list in to different sheets but they will never do this... I given up...

Well, Autodesk will never confirm this demand but we need to solve it. Because we're preparing spare part book for big agricultural machines. And each sheet can only have 25 rows of part list. And sometimes we may have 100 parts on one ipn file with baloons. Normally we were using filter the part lis acoording to "Item Number Range"... But we are using "structured legacy" choice. Than sometimes item numbers may be "1-2", "10-2" etc... And In this case it's impossible to use filer "Item number range". Because Filter options did not confirm from "1" to "1-8"... Again frustration!! 😞

I will try to write macro code in Invetor. I will create main part list. Let's say 100 rows. I will create extra sheet in code and copy part lists in new sheet. And there will be row quantity in code form window. Let's say 25 rows...

My code will split the part list by 25 rows. It's mean that code will create 4 sheets and copy part list to all sheets. Than hide the unwanted rows automatically. For example the code will hide row-26 between row-100 in first sheet. And the code will hide in second sheet row-1 between row-25 and row 51 between row 100 etc...

I will share this code here when I finished it... I think we need to find extra solutions like VB code untill Autodesk confirm our demands unfortunatelly 😞

Regards,

Mucip:)

Message 9 of 18
msklein

THE existing wrapping scheme doesn't work for us as we put the parts list above the title block. So when we use the wrapping option the second column leaves a large gap below it. That's wasted space that I need for the list. It would cause me a lot of the time, for those last few components to wrap a third column unnecessarily or more likly add to second sheet

MSK

Message 10 of 18
mucip

Hi,

I send you one sample part catalogue section of our machines attached. As you see the part list may be 3-4 pages long. And It's necessary to split part list after tha drawing sheet. This is standart manufacturing process...

Regards,

Message 11 of 18
crepps

Is there a way to make the parts list break unevenly? For example, if I had a 40 row high column, hoe could I break it at 25 and 5, instead of 20 and 20?  The only workaround I know of is to create another parts list and toggling rows visible or hidden.

Office Laptop specs:
- Inventor Professional 2012 (Autodesk Product Design Suite)
- Dell Precision M6600
- Intel i7-2960XM @ 2.70GHz
- 8GB RAM
- 128GB mSATA SSD (main)
- (2) 750GB drives (non-RAID)
- touchscreen display w/ pen
- Windows 7 Ultimate

Home Laptop specs:
- Dell XPS 17 (non-3D version)
- Intel i7 2nd gen
- 16GB RAM
- (2) 500GB drives (non-RAID)
- touchscreen display
- AutoCAD Mechanical 2008 (Retail License)
- entire Audodesk product line (Student Licenses)
- Google SketchUp 8 (Retail License)
- Blender
- Cinema 4D
- various other design software packages
Message 12 of 18
dan_inv09
in reply to: crepps

In the parts list, if you right click on a row you can toggle the wrap.

Now it might not remember "25 and 5" if you go messing around adding or removing parts so be prepared to fiddle with it if you're still changing things.

Message 13 of 18
jletcher

Go check out Solid Edge I don't like the software much but it has a few things Autodesk should have done years ago.

I really like how the parts list is done for long parts list.

In Solid Edge all you have to do is tell int how tall you want the parts list and it breaks it up. Let say you make it 18 inch tall part list but the list is 36 it will make two list 18 inches tall then if you want the 2nd list on another page you right click on it and tell it what sheet to go on.

I love this in Solid Edge and it is almost the only thing LOL....

Message 14 of 18
mucip

Hi,

Yes... Inventor should have this feature long time ago...

As I see the Inventor versions, programmers add only visual effects/features. They should listen us and add the features which real users want...

Regards,

Message 15 of 18
jletcher

Buy about 300 million shares in stock and you can make the calls... I am sick of watching Inventor turn into a Max or Biz program.

I wish they would fire the Solid Works guy they hired he is destroying Inventor...

Message 16 of 18
msklein

First is a standard split parts list, wasted space under split.

Second is using 2 parts lists and using visibility of components, no wasted space. I have 101 parts and it just barely fits using the 2 parts list method, otherwise it would take  a additional sheet for the parts list.

Splitting parts lists is a big waste for long pats lists. I would lose about 12 components in second column.

MSK

Message 17 of 18
stephengibson76
in reply to: msklein

not sure which release this came in but 2014, RMB on the parts list, table, split table seems to work as required... not tested but initial kudos to autodesk

Stephen Gibson

View stephen gibson's profile on LinkedIn

Message 18 of 18
dan_inv09
in reply to: stephengibson76

Wrap table is within the parts list editor and split table is done by right clicking on a row in the drawing.

It's almost like if they made a car that you turn with a steering wheel, but it only turned to the left - so when they add right turns, you have to push a button under the seat instead.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report