Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parts List/BOM Configurations

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Cadmanto
2106 Views, 7 Replies

Parts List/BOM Configurations

In the continuing saga of me trying to learn Inventor, I have a question about the said named subject.

I have a BOM that I need some subassemblies shown as such and others showing as the individual parts.

How do you configure the BOM to show both?

Thanks

Scott

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pauldoubet
in reply to: Cadmanto

On the assemblies you want to show as an assembly you set the BOM status to 'Inseperable'. This allows assemblies such as a hinge to show up in the Parts List as a hinge and not the individual parts which make up the hinge. You can still detail parts of any assembly set to 'Inseperable' if you have a need to do so and in that drawing you can list all of the parts in your Parts List.

Hope this helps, Paul

Message 3 of 8
Cadmanto
in reply to: pauldoubet

Paul,

Of these 5 components I was able to make the selection you suggested.

Unfortunately the fifth one is showing up read only and therefore is greyed out.

Now my understanding is when it is greyed out it is either set to "Read Only" (which I have checked and it was changed to RW) or is not checked out, which I have since checked out or lastly is in the library folder which it is not.

So this is my hangup.  Now the other things I have noticed is the icon I have highlighted on the left side is different from the other parts.  Now sure what that icon means, but funny how it is the only one that is read only and the only one that has this icon.

BOM.JPG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 4 of 8
pauldoubet

That icon indicates the file is a library file (that is a stack of books) and the arrow next to it indicates the part has been promoted from a lower level assembly.

Try opening the file and setting the 'Inseperable' status in the Tools>Document Settings dialog box. I do not use the BOM editor to do this because of past problems I have had when changing the BOM status from the BOM editor.

You can also open the problem file and do a 'Save As' to a non library location and use that part in your assembly as a work around.

Paul

Message 5 of 8
Cadmanto

Yes, these were promoted from another assembly.

Well, I am getting closer.  I didn't get the one part from not being "Read Only", but as you can see I have my sub-assembly showing up and one less actual part. in this list.

BOM.JPG

In my actual BOM like you said just the sub -assembly shows up.  Nowe I would like just the sub-assembly to show up and not the mirrored one that places a "_MIR" at the end of the file name.  Weird that the BOM is showing the mirrored item and not the original seeing the original is listed first in the model tree.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 6 of 8
Cadmanto

Paul,

I have gotten the BOM to the point where the items listed are correct.  Sub-assemblies/parts alike.

Now my problem is the sub-assembly that spurred this thread is shwoing the wrong quantity.

A little history, this sub-assembly as shown below is attached to the inside wall of a cylinder.  While I am only showing three of them, there are actually 11 on the one side.  So I didmn't have to go through the pains of replicating the mates on the other side I mirroed these 11.  The way Inventor does it is it creates 11 completely different types of components.  So in the BOM only the original 11 show up when I need the bom to show 22 (11 original and 11 mirrored)  How do I do this?

BLOCK.JPG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 7 of 8
pauldoubet

Mirrored....you are learningSmiley Wink

When you use the Mirror command you need to expand the >> icon at the bottom of the dialog box and take time to experiment with the different options so that you are "Reusing" the original parts and not creating new ones as a result of the Mirror command.

However you can edit the part number(use the BOM Editor) of the Mirrored parts you have created and paste in the part number of the original parts to get the parts to 'Roll Up' into the correct quantity.

Give it a try and let me know if you need additional help.

Paul

Message 8 of 8
Cadmanto

Thanks Paul.

Yes, I am learning.  Difficult road at times, but I am getting there.  Smiley Sad

I will try this when I get back to work.

So you are saying that when I mirror next time to look at the >> icon to prevent something like this.

But in the mean time to edit the BOM and change the part numbers of all of the mirrored parts to get the quantities

of the originals to show correctly.  I am sure it will make more sense when I am in front of my screen at work attempting this.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums