Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parts from Inventor to CNC Plasma Cutter, Proper workflow?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
4369 Views, 14 Replies

Parts from Inventor to CNC Plasma Cutter, Proper workflow?

I'm trying to find a proper workflow how to get my .ipt parts to right file format that fits to our nesting program. Nesting program is a quite old and doesn't support files newer than Autocad 2000 .dwg/.dxf.

Our current workflow is quite slow and painful, because we have to clean drawings manually and it breaks the link between drawing and 3D model:

1. Design parts in Inventor (.ipt)

2. Create drawing file in Inventor (.idw/.dwg)

3. Save a copy from drawing file to Autocad .dwg

4. Open the copy of drawing in Autocad, remove splines etc. and save in older Autocad 2000 .dwg format

5. Import to Nesting program

How should I do this that it won't break the link between .dwg file and 3D model and those drawings won't have any splines?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Cadmanto
in reply to: Anonymous

What version of Inventor are you running?

My thoughts are at the very least you could place a couple of views of your model on an inventor drawing, save it out as a dwg then in Autocad you can save it out as an older version.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Cadmanto

I'm running IV 2013, but if I'll have to save it in Autocad to older version I'll break the link between drawing and model and that's not good at all. If I have to do some changes to model then it's too frustrating and unsure that I'll remember to update the changes to every drawing. 

I have heard that it's possible to save drawings in older .dwg format in Inventor if I'll just save my drawing template to older format in Autocad. Then Inventor just keeps the original format and doesn't migrate it. Is it true?

Message 4 of 15
mpatchus

Having gone through this in the past with several clients, it can be a tedious and expensive proces, with somewhat less than stellar results.

Most of them have ultimately found that upgrading their nesting software to be the least painful and, in the long run, cheapest solution.

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 5 of 15
Cadmanto

I can see that.  Not sure what your alternatives are.  Where I used to work what I described is what we used to do.

We were using Solidworks in conjunction with mastercam.  Like you it was a new version of SW and an older version of MC.  The guy that did the conversion kept the files for a bit, but would place a revision designator in the filename to differentiate between them.

As far as the link, we never worried about that.  We just created new dxf files each time an update came down.  I really don't think the link being lost persea is anything to worry about.  Once any files is exported out in anything different then the native format the link automatically is broken.

Hope this helps.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 6 of 15
mcgyvr
in reply to: mpatchus

@Anonymous wrote:

that upgrading their nesting software to be the least painful and, in the long run, cheapest solution.

This should get the "Accept as Solution" and should be the first thing you do.. Get off this message board and go find out about the ability to upgrade your nesting software. 

Workarounds cost money and that money adds up quickly. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

If I'll accept that broken link and get used to live with that, I still have a problem with splines because CNC cutting machines doesn't like to "eat" splines. It really takes too much time to manually clean all of my drawings.

Message 8 of 15
yannick3

Hi

i use two add-ins

I use flat pattern export add-ins, i can set the dxf/dwg name with the revision number

i just create pdf with the part drawing and automaticly when i save, the DXF is exported to another folder(exclusively for nesting. i can set-up .INI file to set export option with no spline, etc.

It's the best i've seen

the link

http://www.mcadforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=11249

there are another add-ins you can use it's MatProp Publish tool it's in autodesk application exchange

with this add-ins you can export to dxf/dwg and STP + the part drawing in PDF format. very very usefull

the link

http://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/INVNTOR/en/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3apublis...

Yannick Verreault
INV PRO 2015
MS Office 2007
Win 7 pro, core i7 950, asus P6T WS
nvidia Gforce GTX 295
WD caviar black 500Go
WD caviar black 1To

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous

I do a lot of DXF output for laser/waterjet cutting and I typically use the right-click, "Export Face As..." option from right inside the part.  It gives you the option to save as an Autocad 2000 part in that save dialog as well.  Can't get much quicker than that if you need just the part shape!

EDIT: This process will not automatically remove Splines, so maybe worthless to you.

Message 10 of 15
Cadmanto

I respect that and understand.  Just because it worked for me and my company at the time doesn't mean it will work for you.  Besides, it looks like Mike gave you a good possible solution.

Best of luck with this.  Hope it works out.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous

Thanks for all, I'll have to try if those methods would fit for us! But of course if someone still has other ways to do that it would be nice to hear!

Message 12 of 15
yannick3

EDIT: This process will not automatically remove Splines, so maybe worthless to you.

yes you can if you set .INI file
Yannick Verreault
INV PRO 2015
MS Office 2007
nvidia Gforce GTX 295
WD caviar black 500Go
WD caviar black 1To

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: yannick3

@Anonymous wrote:

yes you can if you set .INI file

Wow - thanks yannick - never knew about that!!  So, to the OP, try this:

- Inside your IPT, right-click on the face and select Export Face As...

- In the Save dialog, click Options at the bottom

- in the DXF File Export Options dialog, in the Post Process section, check the "Customize DWG/DXF" box and choose FlatPatternOpts.xml as your post-processor file.

- Now click "Next" and give it a snappy name, then Save Configuration...

This should let you export a spline-free DXF from directly within the part with only a few clicks going forward.

Message 14 of 15
yannick3

Hi

to make .INI file RMB on flat pattern node in the browser

save a copy as

choose dxf or dwg

set the option for your need

after save the configuration, you can only overyde the default one

and that's itflat pat option 1.JPGflat pat option 3.JPGflat pat option 1.JPG

Yannick Verreault
INV PRO 2015
MS Office 2007
nvidia Gforce GTX 295
WD caviar black 500Go
WD caviar black 1To

Message 15 of 15
yannick3

But the best is to use one of the add-ins and Ifalt pattern export

will automaticly export the dxf on save it's magic

Yannick Verreault
INV PRO 2015
MS Office 2007
nvidia Gforce GTX 295
WD caviar black 500Go
WD caviar black 1To

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report