Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parts derived from assembly - parts lose color 2012

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
salsibar
3705 Views, 24 Replies

Parts derived from assembly - parts lose color 2012

Guys

Concerning Inventor 2012...

We do a good bit of deriving parts from assemblies. We have a workflow that works well for us, we create PARTS, put them in an ASSEMBLY, then create new PARTS DERIVED from ASSEMBLY. We use Boolean to add/subtract and disregard parts as needed to create these parts. These parts are now given color and reassembled in an yet another final ASSEMBLY as needed and put into a drawing.

Through Inventor 2011 this worked well. 

In Inventor 2012 the color is disapering as soon as any change is made on a source part.

1 Changing the color does not work.

2 In the derived from Assembly, opening up (in the browser) the individual .ipt's and right clicking and clicking properties and changing the color only stays until the next change to the source prt.

3 Changing EACH individual face by right click, properties and setting the FACE PROPERTIES from "as feature" to "as part" does work, but is ridiculous to change hundreds of faces on each part. (especially considering we did NOT need this step in 2011)

Please Autodesk - HELP!!!   Is there a switch in the registry (to turn off the standard “as feature” to the parts face) or somewhere to help us out with this problem?  

Thanks to all / any in advance.

Barry Salsi
Project Engineer
Inventor 2012
Windows 7 64, 6gb RAM, Nvidia 4000
24 REPLIES 24
Message 21 of 25
salsibar
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Johnson

It has been quite a while now and no word from you.

Is there a fix available and I am unaware. I do not get on the discussion groups often.

I just received 2013 and I am hesitant to even try.

Barry Salsi
Project Engineer
Inventor 2012
Tags (1)
Message 22 of 25
scottmoyse
in reply to: salsibar

Does this help Barry http://designandmotion.net/autodesk/mfg-pages/inventor/dreaded-use-color-override-source-component-a...

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 23 of 25
salsibar
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Johnson, or other AUTODESK EMPLOYEE,

I see you have confirmed this problem and stated it as unexected behavior, and I have heard nothing. Any help fixing this?

Every time I make parts derived from assemblies as explained previously, I have to select and right click each face (through properties) of every final part that is visible so it shows properly on the drawing.

Please help.  I am not a programer and cannot repair this myself.  I simply need Inventor to work properly the way it did two years ago.

Best regards (still...)

Barry

Barry,

I have confirmed the behavior. This is indeed an unexpected behavior starting from R2011 SP1. I believe the issue you describe here is identical to the one Scott mentioned. I am working with engineering team to see how we can correct the behavior.

Many thanks for bring this issue to our attention!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Principal SQA Engineer, Inventor
Manufacturing Group
Autodesk, Inc.
Barry Salsi
Project Engineer
Inventor 2012
Message 24 of 25
cadcamm99
in reply to: salsibar

Not sure if you are still on 2012, but I found that in the derived part, right click on the solid body and select As Part and also check Strip.
Then on the derived feature, click the plus sign next to it and go down to the part. Righ-click the part and set it to As Part. The color will now change to what is selected in the derived part. If you make iParts from with with different colors, the colors will change.
Message 25 of 25
DeerSpotter
in reply to: cadcamm99

Please all be aware, that this problem still exists with Inventor 2016.

If you are stuck just as i was here is the SOLUTION: when in derive window, go to representation and select your Design View and set it to MASTER.

That's it problem solved!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
..........................................................................................................................
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
..........................................................................................................................

See My LinkedIn Profile

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report