Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partial Wireframe in IDW?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
2549 Views, 6 Replies

Partial Wireframe in IDW?

Hello, as part of my job being the engineer/draftsman, I sometimes get request for "artistic representations" of assemblies.  So what I do is I import an assembly into an IDW, then select the style as 'shaded'.  How-ever I have a part in the assembly that represents (a cone shape) that is to represent gas exiting a nozzle.  Well even as a transparent color, it still messes up the image.  How can I remove the shading just on these cone objects?  I tried to create a visible sketch and just project the cone objects lines (thinking I can just make the cone objects not visible and just leave the projected lines behind in the visible sketch).  How-ever I think b/c the view is in a "Current View" that has perspective, it is not allowing me to project these line.  Is there anything I can do to make this work?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Sorry, forgot to mention, Im using INV11 (not 2011). 

Message 3 of 7
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi dvandoren, 

See tip #1 at this link:

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/06/autodesk-inventor-tips-from-around-web.html

Kudos to the guys at being Inventor for the tip.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

Well I guess that kinda works.  The issue is that anything behind the clear object does not have there edge lines visible, it shows their color, but not the lines.  I guess this will work for now until I figure out how to do this properly.

Message 5 of 7
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

I sometimes get request for "artistic representations" of assemblies. 

You could also look into placing Inventor Studio images into Sketched Symbols - perhaps even the Illustration type renderings.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 7
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi dvandoren,

Here's another possible solution for you:

• Create two view representations in your assembly: using the visibility control to turn off components, you'll create one view rep showing only the parts to be made wire frame and the other showing only what is to be shaded.
  • Next create a Positional Representation, but make no positional changes.
  • Create a base view in the drawing and use the shaded view rep and the master postional rep for this view
  • Create an Overlay view and use the wireframe view rep and the new positional rep for this view

I didn't actually step through this work flow, due to a busy Friday afternoon, but I think it might work depending upon your particular assembly. Post some screen shots and someone might have some other suggestions.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Ok I figured it out.  What I had to do was:

-Open assembly

-Create x2 new Views

-In view1 hide everything but the "what to be just outlined" objects, in view 2 hide "what to be just outlined" objects

-Create new position, but dont move anything

-Save, close

-Open Drawing

-Place new view as view2

-Use "Overlay View" tool, select position1, select as view1

and there you have it.... thanks for the help guys!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report