Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part without bendings - conversion to sheet metal possible?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
MP07
1049 Views, 7 Replies

Part without bendings - conversion to sheet metal possible?

Hello!

I need to transform a part to a plane sheet metal, I already did it with a part that had just one bending, so it succesfully converted to sheet metal, but I've got this part which unfortunately I didn't design with bendings, I just did sketches and then extrudes, so it's like a 0mm 90 bends. (btw I'm uploading the part if You have to take a look at)

I'm wondering...do I have to desing this part again ''from scratch'' with bendings or is there a way to create them on every corner mantaining exact distances and all, or is there a way to convert this part to sheet metal even without bendings?

Thank You

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
thaddeus
in reply to: MP07

convert to sheet metal.

change default material thickness to your part thickness.

increase bens relief to 2 mm or greater.

add bed relief (2mm or greater)to long tab where it intersects with side.

add inside radius (material thickness) and outside radius (2x material thickness) to all bend locations.

generate flat patern.

see drawing

Message 3 of 8
M.Peppel

Hi MP07,

please find the converted part attached. All you have to do is use the "convert to sheetmetal button" then set the thickness to the desired (and hopefully modelled) size and use the "bending" function from the sheet metal menu to convert the sharp edges to bends. Finally unfold your part.

cheers

Matthias 

Nihil Ex Nihilo
Message 4 of 8
MP07
in reply to: M.Peppel

Can't thank you enough guys Smiley Happy

I've still got some parts to do the same with and this will help me a lot !

Message 5 of 8
MP07

Hello again,

I have this part which I find somewhat difficult to turn into a sheet metal, I would be grateful if someone could take a look, this is the last part which is kind of ''more complicated'', I'm done with all the rest of my parts, so I someone could help me with this final part that would be great.

I'm uploading 2 files, the original with no bendings, and the one with bendings when afterwards I have problems turning it into a sheet metal

Message 6 of 8
thaddeus

if you want to mae a flat pattern you will need to rip the corners, eliminate the impossible upper connecting flange.

think about how you would make the part, if you cannot figure out how you would make the part one bend at a time, the software cannot unfold it.

think about the flat patern, try cutting it out of paper, if you have to add material it cannot be flattened.

I would design this with manufacturing in mind.

Message 7 of 8
MP07
in reply to: thaddeus

Yes I know, that's why I aksed, There must be at least an entire corner which is not connected, I'll try playing around with it

Message 8 of 8
JDMather

You are also doing wayyyyyy too much work and your sketches are not constrained.
Almost always pattern features rather than sketch enitities.
Use symmetry about the origin.

You might want to read this http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/skillsusa%20university.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report