Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part with variable embossed text

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Schlansky
1313 Views, 5 Replies

Part with variable embossed text

First let me say that I'm a beginner when it comes to Inventor.

I would like to make a single part with some embossed text on it.  Let's say it's a label, where the text would just be a single digit number.

Is it possible to make this text variable?  I want to be able to add several instances of this part to an assembly, and have each one have a distinct number.

For example; 5 of these labels numbered from 1 to 5.

Is this possible, and if so, what is the best way to achieve it?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Hi Schlansky,

You can create a User Text Parameter and then call this parameter into a sketch, and then use the Emboss tool to create the embossed text. Then you can change the parameter value and it will update the emboss feature.

However, it sounds like you want to create a part family (iPart Factory). Unfortunately Text Parameters are not supported, but you since you're wanting to use numbers I think you'll be okay.

Here are some releated links:

http://beinginventive.typepad.com/being-inventive/2011/07/emboss-text-in-an-ipart.html

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/User-defined-text-paramter-in-iPart/td-p/3127876

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 6
mcgyvr
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

It "should" be done as an ipart or just different part files.

In the real world.. if one part is different from another it shouldn't be the same part number..plain and simple. Inventor should follow real world situations.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 6
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: mcgyvr

@mcgyvr wrote:

In the real world.. if one part is different from another it shouldn't be the same part number..plain and simple. Inventor should follow real world situations.

Hi mcgyvr,

For the sake of discussion, sometimes the printing of labels and other "consumable" parts are handled as "jobs" rather than individual part numbers. This way we're not creating an inventory or MRP record for "one off" printed labels.

For instance, we might have a label that is stocked as part number 1234-01, and then we send three of part number 1234-01 to the label printer and then print one with the number 78, one with the number 79, and one with the number 80, as per the work instructions. "Kanban" type items can add a twist that may or may not simplify some of these "consumables".

In either case, the iPart factory can handle both situations, by configuring the Part Number column in the iPart table to be unique per label or the same per label.

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 5 of 6
mcgyvr
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

@Curtis_Waguespack wrote:

@mcgyvr wrote:

Hi mcgyvr,

For the sake of discussion, sometimes the printing of labels and other "consumable" parts are handled as "jobs" rather than individual part numbers. This way we're not creating an inventory or MRP record for "one off" printed labels.

For instance, we might have a label that is stocked as part number 1234-01, and then we send three of part number 1234-01 to the label printer and then print one with the number 78, one with the number 79, and one with the number 80, as per the work instructions. "Kanban" type items can add a twist that may or may not simplify some of these "consumables".

In either case, the iPart factory can handle both situations, by configuring the Part Number column in the iPart table to be unique per label or the same per label.

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Sure.. but you don't put those labels into "stock" again under the same part number.

I should have clarified that "if one "stocked or inventoried" part is different from another then it can't have the same part number. 

Thats one area that I think would be a great addition to Inventor.. The ability to define the "raw material" for a part had have it show up in the INV BOM screen. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 6

Thanks! Those links look promising. I will investigate further. I really appreciate the help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report