Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part will not Author correctly for frame generator use

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
SeanFarr
1138 Views, 8 Replies

Part will not Author correctly for frame generator use

Hi,

I am have a part that is a small section of a wire trough.

In the part file I created a table with the 2 different sizes used. I can manipulate the part by editing extrusion 1 and the ribs and slots adjust accordingly. However, I would like to keep track of the wire trough used in a similar fashion as a tube weldment, one part, but multiple lengths used, for BOM tracking.

AS soon as I author the part to structural shapes I get issues with the extrusions and sketches, looks like the initial geometry is lost it's constraints to projected lines. (sketches are full of the pink lines)

Here is a short video to show what I mean and the part is attached as well.

Thanks for any help!

Sean Farr
Product Designer at TESInc.ca

Inventor Professional 2014-Update 2 - AutoCAD Electrical 2014
Win7-x64 | ASUS P8Z77-V | i7 3770 -3.4 GHz | 32GB RAM |
240GB SSD | nVidia GTX 670 4GB - 320.49
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Cadmanto
in reply to: SeanFarr

Hi Sean,

I seem to recall other threads that tried similar things from the standpoint of trying to do frame generator assemblies

using factory files.  The frame generator from what I remember trips on this and didn't work.

Have you had success with this recipe in the past?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 9
SeanFarr
in reply to: Cadmanto

Hey Scott,

I authored a custom HSS tube once awhile back in Inventor 2012, but it was a simple sketch and extrusion. No patterns or special parameters and it worked fine.

Hmm, I suppose I could rid of the slots and ribs and just have the simple extrusion, since it is more important for total lenghts of the trough used. iwould be nice to have the ribs available though, because I would like to eventually route the control board with actaully wires, and they feed through the ribs on these troughs.

There surely has to be a way, might not be using the correct keywords when searching though, would be neat if there was a topic/filter when searching instead of just entering in what you think the keywords would be.

Thanks!

Sean Farr

Message 4 of 9
Cadmanto

Hi Sean,

It would appear to me that you might want to consider ditching the FG completely and just create the factory part

manually.  Is there any real benifit to creating this conduit with FG?  Seems like if is just complicating matters.

Just my 2 cents.  Smiley Happy

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 5 of 9
SeanFarr
in reply to: Cadmanto

@Cadmanto wrote:

just create the factory part manually.

When you say factory part, do you mean just publish the part to Content Center?

I was actually just playing with that, the part publishes to content center with no issues, the only problem with that is, I need to define every length that I would possibly use. Where as if this part was used in frame generator, I could make a simple sketch of where I want the trough to route and apply, do my end treatments and once I get to the drawing, I would have the total length qty used on the model of the size of trough.

WIRETROUGH2.PNG

Do you know if this part can be added to content center and the length be adjusted to size once placed? Not have to be pre-defined like above?

We make many custom power skids and most control boards are different sizes, thus the wire troughs are various lengths.

This one of the 3 control boards on a skid, the other boards are various sizes, my ideal thought was to add this trough profile to content center, then in my assembly, create a skeleton sketch and place the trough there using FG. If this is a bad idea, can you explain? I know not all my ideas are the best, haha

IMG_1078.JPG

if there doesn't seem to be a work around, I think I'll get rid of the ribs and slots on the profile and just have a plain extrusion. I think FG will accept this profile without all the extra features. And when I add wires down the road, I'll add holes at the assembly level and deal with it like that.

But there has to be a way to get this wire trough to manipulate to size once placed in an assembly??

Thanks!

Sean Farr

Message 6 of 9
Cadmanto

Sean,

What I mean by a factory file is an ipart.  Where you have the table with the variables.

I am thinking you can do this and publish this to the CC if you want or need to.

Just create one part without FG with all of your tabs and features.  Then convert it to an ipart factory file.

Then use what ever dimension you have designated for the overall length and insert that into the ipart factory table.

Make this dimension in the table a "Keyed" item.

What you are basically doing is similar to when ever you insert structural members into an assembly it always prompts you for the length.  This is what it sounds like you are trying to do.

I hope this makes sense to you.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 7 of 9

Hi SeanFarr,

Concerning the iPart to CC workflow, you should be able to set the Length as a Custom Parameter Column and then specify an increment (if applicable). Then when you place the part from CC, it will place as a Custom CC part allowing you to set the length at that time.

Autodesk Inventor Content Center Custom Length 01.png

Autodesk Inventor Content Center Custom Length 02.png

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 8 of 9

Thanks Scott and Curtis,

This is probably the most ideal solution available. I decided to create each size as their own part and publish separately to keep track easier as the parts are placed into an assembly. By checking that option for the length in the ipart properties table, I am now able to adjust the lengths of each part separately as they are placed.

I was debating on whether to make a post to Ideastation in regards to custom profiles with features (like ribs and slots) to be authored for frame generator use.

It won't take long to use the distance tool to figure out the dimensions I need when placing these wire troughs, but it would be much faster and efficient, if I created a sketch and just used projected lines off by back plate and then used FG to place the troughs and applied end treatments. But I still don't understand why the part will author to CC but had errors once it is done. Anyone know why it does this?

Thanks for the help again!!

Sean Farr

Message 9 of 9
Cadmanto

Hey Sean,

I am glad you found a solution that works for you.

I don't know if this will help you but I came across conduit strips on the cblis site

http://www.cbliss.com/inventor/Parts/Enclosures/index.htm

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report