Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Visibility in Assembly

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
-Aaron-
922 Views, 8 Replies

Part Visibility in Assembly

Anyone have any ideas why this would happen?? See below..

I have a View Rep set up so that only my connection points are visible.

assembly_vis.png

But when I place a drawing view (valve_vis.png), my valves stay visible for some reason.

valve_vis.png

-Aaron-
Formerly ASI_Aaron
i7-6700k
ASUS Z170-AR
Gigabyte GTX 970
16gb RAM
512gb Samsung 950 Pro
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: -Aaron-

Hi doubleA26,

If you edit the drawing view and look at the View settings under the Representation area, you'll see an Associative checkbox. If that is unchecked, does checking that box resolve this?

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 9
-Aaron-
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Good morning Curtis, the box is checked. I can uncheck, toggle visibility on/off, but the valves still stay visible no matter what

I have a hunch that the original STP file that was downloaded (before my time here) is the culprit.  I will try re-downloading the file and have another go at it...

-Aaron-
Formerly ASI_Aaron
i7-6700k
ASUS Z170-AR
Gigabyte GTX 970
16gb RAM
512gb Samsung 950 Pro
Message 4 of 9
cwhetten

Is the valve file a surface model or a solid?  I have noticed this behavior with surface bodies--they don't seem to be controlled by view reps (in the drawing view, anyway).  If they are, find the browser node for these parts in the drawing view, right-click, and uncheck "Include".

Message 5 of 9
-Aaron-
in reply to: cwhetten

Good afternoon cwhetten.  I've looked at my browser nodes and I do not have any surface bodies on this particular part.  However, this part was derived from an assembly that was imported as such from a STP file.  

Still digging around on this one.  It's bugging me...

-Aaron-
Formerly ASI_Aaron
i7-6700k
ASUS Z170-AR
Gigabyte GTX 970
16gb RAM
512gb Samsung 950 Pro
Message 6 of 9
mcgyvr

Its not an iassembly is it?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 9
cwhetten

@doubleA26 wrote:

...this part was derived from an assembly...  

There's your problem right there.  When a part is derived from an assembly, any drawing views of that part will display the part no matter it's visibility status.  This is a known bug.

The only way I have been able to get around it is to derive a new part from the part derived from the assembly.  In other words, take your assembly file > derived to a part (maybe break link to original assembly) > derive to another part.  I don't remember if it is necessary to break the link to the original assembly or not.  I don't think you have to, but if you can't get it to work, try breaking the link.

Message 8 of 9
-Aaron-
in reply to: cwhetten

mcgyvr - it's not an iassembly.  

cwhetten - thanks for the info, noted for the future.  I didn't know about the bug.  This explains a lot.

I was able to find the original STP file and imported it as a SMB part and I'm now able to get the visibility to act like it should.

Thanks all for the help! Have a good day...

-Aaron-
Formerly ASI_Aaron
i7-6700k
ASUS Z170-AR
Gigabyte GTX 970
16gb RAM
512gb Samsung 950 Pro
Message 9 of 9
cwhetten

When I said it's a "known bug", I didn't mean to imply that you should have known about it.  I meant that it's an issue known to Autodesk.  I guess it has been around for a while (I recently saw some posts about it from version 2010), but I didn't know about it until a couple of months ago.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report