Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

Distinguished Mentor
IgorMir
Message 21 of 37 (367 Views)

Re: Part Quantities

01-30-2013 05:39 AM in reply to: mrattray

Hi Mike,

You didn't upset me at all. Honestly. We are all friends here. That's what I believe in firmly.

Let's the OP to decide what he needs for his business. I am sure - we all have provided him with enough information to conceder the best possible rout to take.

Best Regards,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Distinguished Contributor
SKinzel
Message 22 of 37 (367 Views)

01-30-2013 05:39 AM in reply to: mrattray

We may be working at the same shop, lol.  Each copy of our drawings also gets a stamp before it is released to the shop.  This stamp includes the job number and the quantity to be manufactured even though this information is suppose to be in the title block of the drawing already. 

The icing on the cake is that our "B" sized drawings are on LEGAL size paper so drawing real estate is at a premium.  We've slowly been introducing actual B sized drawings into the shop but they haven't been happy about it even though it should make our drawings much more legible.  And yes the slighest change in drawing procedure/style causes major conflict with the shop floor.

Stuart Kinzel
Inventor 2013-64bit, HP EliteBook8740w Intel Core i5CPU 2.67 GHz
8GB memory
Windows 7 64bit
SKinzel
Message 23 of 37 (362 Views)

01-30-2013 05:47 AM in reply to: IgorMir

The iLogic code is exactly what I was hoping to find.  I want a way to place the quantity on the drawing that happens more or less automatically and removes a potential human error.  It is much more likely that I will spot a wrong quantity if the actual assembly model doesn't have the correct number of occurances in it than I am to spot an incorrectly typed in number on the individual drawing.  So if the quantity shown on my part drawings is directly tied to the quanity that shows up on my assembly BoM then that should be one less chance for me to screw up.

I haven't yet had a chance to play with the code to see if the cut and paste was getting some garbage characters since I just finished a "hurry up why don't you have this done yet" projects and am now working on the next "hurry up why don't you have this done yet" project.

Stuart Kinzel
8GB memory
Windows 7 64bit
Valued Mentor
rhasell
Message 24 of 37 (341 Views)

01-30-2013 03:23 PM in reply to: SKinzel

I have had quite a few instances where the client wants the part drawings split from the assembly drawings and the quantites need to be placed on each drawing sheet. In this case the part BOM QTY becomes a manual process, and mistakes do happen.

The other instance where it is usefull is Laser cutting, each part needs a QTY attached to it, the only other way to get an accurate QTY is to place the GA off sheet.

The next issue to be solved is the Sub-Assembly quantities, this is still a manual process, at least for me it is.

Reg
Autodesk PDS Ultimate 2015 Update 1 Build 159
Intel Core i7 (950@3.07GHz)/Win7x64 (Home) - 12GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Please Give Kudo's / accept as a solution if it fixes your problem.
*Expert Elite*
mrattray
Message 25 of 37 (330 Views)

01-31-2013 04:42 AM in reply to: rhasell

rhasell wrote:
The next issue to be solved is the Sub-Assembly quantities, this is still a manual process, at least for me it is.

It doesn't have to be. What are you looking to do with your sub-assemblies?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Contributor
00ash00
Message 26 of 37 (323 Views)

01-31-2013 01:05 PM in reply to: IgorMir

Hi All,

The iLogic code that I attached @ message 11 of this post will add a Qty to all parts and subassemblies, if you run the code from the top assembly. I copied the text file that I attached into a new run and it worked fine, I did see a message above that it wasn't working however as Mike stated coping code from these posts sometimes will copy incorrectly. My work place sounds to be tha same as you guys, everything was to be completed be yesterday and everytime i add extra things to the drawings they want more information. I have written a standalone program in VB.Net which will does our drawing to 90% complete all we do is open them and add any hole notes and move the radius dimentions that seams to move off the page. I processed 288 drawings in under 3 hrs and i still got the same old hurry up bull ****,  I will release my AutoDrafter in the App store shortly just got to remove company info from the templates that it uses.

Ash

Dell - T1650

Intel(R)Xeon(R) CPU E3-1290 V2 @ 3.70GHz

16GB

64-Bit

Windows 7 Pro

Inventor 2013 Build: 138

Ash

Dell - T1650
Intel(R)Xeon(R) CPU E3-1290 V2 @ 3.70GHz
16GB
64-Bit
Windows 7 Pro
Inventor 2013 Build: 138
Valued Mentor
rhasell
Message 27 of 37 (304 Views)

01-31-2013 03:40 PM in reply to: mrattray

Hi Mike

Thanks for the response, I was wondering if this should branch off to a new thread, but Ash appears to have to solved the issue already.

Our business had a more architecural/structural feel to it.

Starts with a GA/Marking plan which contains both BOM's (Structured for Labels (Custom balloon), and Parts Only for Official QTY's)

Then each Sub assembly is detailed along with the individual parts.

This is where it is a manual process,

The Sub Assembly QTY is listed in the VIEW Label. (EG: 4 OFF REQUIRED etc)

I place the Parts BOM for the sub assembly on the sheet, which has a Custom column for multiplication, so I manually type in 4 which in turn muliplies the QTY by 4, giving me the total QTY required to manufacture 4 Sub assemblies.

I hope the above is understandable?

Reg
Autodesk PDS Ultimate 2015 Update 1 Build 159
Intel Core i7 (950@3.07GHz)/Win7x64 (Home) - 12GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Please Give Kudo's / accept as a solution if it fixes your problem.
SKinzel
Message 28 of 37 (266 Views)

02-21-2013 06:32 AM in reply to: SKinzel

So I finally was able to try out the iLogic code.  There seems to be an issue that I'm not sure can be resolved.  My assemblies have a mixture of "regular" parts and parts from the Library.  Since Library files cannot be modified I get an error every time the script runs and it tries to add the Custom Property to the library files.

In assemblies that don't have any library files it seems to work just fine.

Stuart Kinzel
8GB memory
Windows 7 64bit
bstewart
Message 29 of 37 (261 Views)

02-21-2013 07:13 AM in reply to: SKinzel

SKinzel wrote:

So I finally was able to try out the iLogic code.  There seems to be an issue that I'm not sure can be resolved.  My assemblies have a mixture of "regular" parts and parts from the Library.  Since Library files cannot be modified I get an error every time the script runs and it tries to add the Custom Property to the library files.

In assemblies that don't have any library files it seems to work just fine.

We're in the same boat here.  Library parts can't (and shouldn't), be modified.  I think the only way this would work is if the total quantiy number for each part/sub-assembly, was stored inside the top level assembly somehow.  This would also mean the parts & sub-assys wouldn't need updating.

Bob

Valued Contributor
tmoney2007
Message 30 of 37 (252 Views)

02-21-2013 09:52 AM in reply to: bstewart

I have a hard time getting my brain around needing to do this, but I'm in a bigger company with ERP and MRP capabilities.  We give them part/assembly drawings and a BOM, they figure out how many of anything to make from that.

I understand that its completely different at a smaller company, but if you gave them a flattened BOM, couldn't they figure out how many of each part to make?

Looks like you have the problem pretty well figured out, but sometimes the requirements are the problem.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.