Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

part or assembly not updating after modifying sketch related feature in part

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
ASCO-engineering
882 Views, 8 Replies

part or assembly not updating after modifying sketch related feature in part

Hi all,

I've been running into this weird issue since we upgraded to the 2014 release and was wondering if anyone has experienced the same and if there is a proper fix:

Quite often, projected geometry in a sketch does not move along with the original geometry if another feature within the same part/assy was modified. Normally i would see this feature being update / recomputed automatically, but in this release it does not do so. This is especially deceptive in more complex assemblies as you're unlikely to notice a suble change. The only way to get things right is to force the recompute by selecting rebuild-all.

You can see the geometry has not been updated if you look at the sketch involved. The projected geometry doesn't match up with the original edges etc. We don't use adaptivity, and the issue can also be present when the model is freshly opened.

Has anyone encountered the same issue?

Thanks,

Misha

IV2014 SP2 + Vault

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Misha,

The projection you made in the sketch, are they referenced or not?

When doing projection, and you click an edge, you will get a normal projection? But clicking a face, all the tracing edges of that face are projected onto your sketchplane, and the sketch icon in the browser bar get a drop-out reference.

- Aut viam inveniam aut faciam -
(I shall either find a way or make one.)
Message 3 of 9

Hi! The behavior does not sound right to me. Could you provide an example here or send it to me (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)? I would like to take a look and see where the problem is.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 9
Cadmanto
in reply to: ASCO-engineering

Have you tried doing a rebuild all in your part then seeing if your drawing updates?

rebuild.JPG

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 9
ASCO-engineering
in reply to: Cadmanto

Hi all,

thanks for the replies.

The issue is resolved by doing the rebuild all. The problem i have with this is that it is something that can be present in the model without me knowing. And it's not going away by itself. Yesterday i detected it again because i saw something funny in a dwg i just started, and after some searchine i saw again that it was the improper update behaviour of the model that was to blame. The rebuild solved it. But finding the cause takes time and the vault interaction also often requires you to check out files which then get a bogus revision change etc.

Misha

Message 6 of 9

I fix the issue whenever i encounter it. As it occurs spontaneously all i can do is send you a sample when it happens next.

Misha

Message 7 of 9

Hi Johnson,

i'm sending you a data set of the assy in question. I'm also including some screenshots of what i'm getting just in case you don't get the same issue. I'm also attaching the screenshots here if others are interested.

the first attachmenst shows in wireframe the results of a hole feature where two holes are made that run through two strips which are positioned behind each other. You can see the holes in one strip being higher than in the other. In reality the strips are identical and are flush with the sides, so the holes should have identical positions.

the secon attachment shows the actual sketch that is used to drive the position of the holes. The projected geometry (horizontal line) does no longer coincide with the actual geometry which i've highlighted in attachment 3.

Odd enough is the fact that the holes created on the plane on which the sketch was placed are actually in the intended position, but the holes in the rear strip are shifted.

Misha

Message 8 of 9

Misha,

The behavior is indeed wrong. It seems that an update (compute) is missed for no apparent reason. Rebuild All does fix it but it should not be necessary. Do you use Express mode? Do you know how to reproduce the behavior from scratch?

Many thanks!

Johnson

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 9

Hi Johnson,

It was only by coincidene that the files i sent you showed the same behavior again, most likely because the files had been updated but not saved due to vault related ways of working. (most likely an update brought the latest version from the vault, overwriting my modified file that was not checked out.)

Since release 2014 i have been noticing things going wrong in sketches way more often than in the previous release we've been running (2012):

- sketches made in older files spontaneously have dimensions that cannot be removed.

- sketch geometry present in older files does not follow i-part table driven features.

- a dimension placed in a sketch results in an over-constrained notification while it is clearly visible that that particular dimension is needed to constrain the sketch.

although the first two issues mentioned are related to version 2012 files, the issue i've reported in this thread as well as the 3rd issue are all present in newly created files.

i never use express mode, although inventor sometimes does so on its own. If that occurs i switch back to normal mode.

Regards,

Misha

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report